Problem for run snap after installation

Hi,

I just installed SNAP 2.0 Unix 64-bit in my processing server (Ubuntu 14.04 x64). After the installation, I tried to run snap but I received the following errorS:

################################################################################################

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to create any config
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fc4983e673a, pid=10928, tid=139910182426368
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_60-b27) (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.60-b23 mixed mode linux-amd64 )
# Problematic frame:
# v  ~BufferBlob::jni_fast_GetLongField
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/alex/hs_err_pid10928.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
/usr/local/snap/bin/../platform/lib/nbexec: line 474: 10928 Aborted  

##################################################################################################

I guess it might be something to do with the display card driver. I would like to know how I can solve this issue. Thanks

Are you running your Unix in a virtual machine? We observed similar problems in virtual machines. In some cases enabling the 3D support helped to overcome such problems.
Another option is to check if you can get a new version the display card driver.

Thanks for your information.
Yes. I try to run the SNAP via remote access using vnc. The SNAP 2.0 is installed in the Dell server R820 and I don’t know if there is a new version of display card driver in linux for it.

Dear STEP support team,

I would like to ask whether you are thinking in using other graphic libraries for SNAP since you already know that there are some troubles/uncompatibilities with SNAP and VMs, specially running on QEMU/KVM

I would like to point out that we offer services which SNAP needs to be run on VMs.

In addition, we also had the BEAM 5 version which had not troubles with graphic libraries and can be run with no issues in the same type of environment.

Could you please let us know whether this type of issues will be solved in future SNAP releases? If so, could you please anticipate when will be this available?

Best regards,
Manuel

You can overcome this problem by removing the org-esa-snap-snap-worldwind.jar module from the folder snap\modules in the installation directory. If the problem still exists you probably have to clean the .snap directory in the user home.
Till now we haven’t thought about exchanging the library. Please note that it works for more of 95% of our users. And it is a pretty common library. It is NASA WorldWind which causes this problem. But only if something is wrong with the graphics card configuration.
So what we can do, is trying to update the library. Maybe they fixed something. We can also try to detect the cases were it will fail and don’t load the library, or we can make the module optional.

@lveci what do you think?

This can be a problem somethings with virtual machines. I don’t know
about /QEMU/ but, with vmware things are ok once you turn on accelerated
3D for a host and use the proprietary video drivers.

Thanks Marpet for your reply.

I have moved the org-esa-snap-snap-worldwind.jar out of the snap folder and I tried to run it without success.
A message dialog appeared the first time asking to disable some Ocean module, I have accepted and then snap crashed.

I reboot the system and now instead to get the libEGL message I got nothing but snap directly crashes.
So, I will be glad if you could manage to help me to solve the problem in a short term release in the way you think that could be doable.

@Iveci: thanks for your comment but unfortunately our cloud provider only works with KVM hypervisor.Indeed I found as well the 3d accelerator problem solved for VMware and VirtualBox, but nothing yet for QEMU or KVM.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Best regards

Can you please post the messages.log.
You will find in <USER_DIR>/.snap/var/log.
Thanks

the log in /home/user/.snap/system/var/log/messages.log is quite long. It is 55KB long text…
Do you want me to send it to you somehow? email?

Please let me know, and thank you very much for your help

It should be possible to attach it here. Don’t worry about the size.