Real-time Flood Monitoring using SNAP toolbox

Hello all, I have used SNAP software and Sentinel-1 data to explore my research on real-time flood monitoring. I want to acknowledge and thank ESA’s STEP FORUM for the timely help and suggestions provided whenever I face any software or data issue. I highly appreciate the step forum team and developers in this regard.

I would also like to mention two of my research works published in journals, which would not have been possible without the knowledge gained from this forum:

• In [1], an automated tool is developed to delineate flood inundation extent from microwave SAR images without any human intervention.

• Besides, in [2], I have explained in detail on Sentinel-1/microwave SAR data preparation and its automation using SNAP toolbox for extracting flood footprints.

References:

[1] Kuntla, S.K., Manjusree, P. (2020). Development of an Automated Tool for Delineation of Flood Footprints from SAR Imagery for Rapid Disaster Response: A Case Study. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, 48(6), 935–944. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12524-020-01125-4

[2] Kiran, K.S., Manjusree, P. & Viswanadham, M. (2019). Sentinel-1 SAR Data Preparation for Extraction of Flood Footprints-A Case Study. Disaster Advances, 12(12), 10-20.

7 Likes

good job - thank you for sharing! I am sure these are useful to the community.

Thanks @ABraun!

getting back to this - are you planning to make the tool openly accessible?

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I am glad that you are interested in working with this tool. I would love to make it openly accessible. However, since it uses SNAP for pre-processing along the process (Detailed explanation in the article), would it be possible to automate it online so that the end-user can use it via GUI directly without the source code?

The developed tool runs very well as a continuous chain with the source code in a system with SNAP pre-installed by calling SNAP tools for pre-processing via the GPT tool and utilizing necessary python modules for the remaining core analysis.
Directly Download the Article

if it is entirely based on python, you could consider documenting the code (where to adjust when one wants to use it and how data has to be preprated and structured) and upload the documentation and scripts on zenodo under a license of your choice, so you will get full credit in case that someone uses it.