Sar-Simulation Terrain Correcton pixel spacing bug?

Hi All,

I’m encountering a difficulty in Sar-Simulation Terrain Correction, where my specified output pixel spacing is not accepted by either the ‘pixelSpacingInDegree’ or ‘pixelSpacingInMeter’ inputs. The result is that I have to accept a higher resolution (and processing time and file sizes) than I’d like. I encounter this issue both with the SNAP GUI and with snappy (example Python script below):

source= ProductIO.readProduct('ALOS_1_file.zip')

parameters = HashMap()
target1 = GPF.createProduct("Calibration", parameters, source)

parameters = HashMap()
parameters.put('demName', "SRTM 1Sec HGT")
parameters.put('sourceBands', 'Sigma0_HV')    
target2 = GPF.createProduct('ALOS-Deskewing', parameters, target1)

# SAR-Simulation TC chain:

# Step 1
parameters = HashMap()
parameters.put('demName', 'SRTM 1Sec HGT')
parameters.put('demResamplingMethod', 'BILINEAR_INTERPOLATION')
target3 = GPF.createProduct('SAR-Simulation', parameters, target2)

# Step 2
parameters = HashMap()
parameters.put('numGCPtoGenerate', 600)
parameters.put('coarseRegistrationWindowWidth','1024')
parameters.put('coarseRegistrationWindowHeight','1024')
target4 = GPF.createProduct('Cross-Correlation', parameters, target3)

# Step 3
parameters = HashMap()
parameters.put('rmsThreshold', '0.5')
parameters.put('warpPolynomialOrder', '1')
parameters.put('pixelSpacingInDegree', 0.000222222222222) #THE PROBLEM INPUT
target5 = GPF.createProduct('SARSim-Terrain-Correction', parameters, target4)

ProductIO.writeProduct(target5, 'ALOS_output_file.tif', 'GeoTIFF')

In this case, the output resolution defaults to 0.000134588330100 degrees.

Some things I’ve tried:

• The problem remains whether I specify units of meters or degrees, whether I choose a different pixel spacing, or change the map projection
  • If I use Range Doppler TC, these inputs do work, but as I’m using data from ALOS 1 this results in really poor geolocation accuracy
  • I can reduce the resolution using multi-looking. But this can’t match my desired pixel spacing.

So, I wonder if anyone can tell me, is this a bug? My understanding of SARSim-TC is superficial enough that I’m not even sure that this should work. Am I doing something wrong that’s causing this? Is there another way of achieving the same result?

Thanks!

I’ve now figured out that the 'pixelSpacingInDegree' option can be made to work with 'SARSim-Terrain-Correction', but only if multi-looking isn’t applied earlier in the processing chain. This doesn’t seem to be a limitation with Range-Doppler TC.

Had I properly tested my simplified example above, I might have discovered that it was already working ok… :no_mouth: