Sen2cor: License Questions (Mirroring & Packaging)

Hey all,

I have a question (or rather 2) regarding the license of the sen2cor package, as it seems to be mixture of the well known and open Apache license and another custom German DLR license.

First, I would like to ask if I am allowed to mirror the sen2cor package. I am specifically talking about the Linux Sen2Cor-02.11.00-Linux64.run file from Sen2Cor v2.11 – STEP).
Given that I state the Apache + DLR license, am I allowed to host the exact same run file on another hosting provider to ensure that the package remains available? Like GitHub, a different archival webpage or similar?
The main motivation is to provide a backup link for archival purposes in-case the original website is not available.

Second, am I allowed to integrate the package into other Linux package registries? These usually require (small) patches applied to the source code to adhere to the different package registry guidelines but it would make it a lot easier to install the processor.
A similar argumentation would hold for other derivatives works, like this docker-sen2cor project.
If it is possible, I might start working on up-streaming the sen2cor application to the nixpkgs registry (GitHub - NixOS/nixpkgs: Nix Packages collection & NixOS).

But before I do any of that, I would like to make sure that the effort would be welcomed and isn’t breaking any rules :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kai

Maybe @Sen2cor_dev_team could answer your questions

1 Like

Dear @kai-tub,

@Sen2cor_dev_team needs to discuss this topic with ESA in order to provide you the adequate answer. Anyway it is appreciated that you asked the question first. The answer will be provided here and added in the Sen2Cor FAQ.

Cheers,

@Sen2cor_dev_team

1 Like