Sentinel-1 Level-0 Image Formation

This is a similar thread to DaveRose’s from 2016.

I have written a remedial Sentinel-1 Level-0 IW image formation tool in a mix of Matlab and C/mex files. My tool reads the raw L0 data (both the aux info and pulse samples), groups the data into bursts, and forms image chips for each burst. It can process an entire Level-0 file into the associated burst image chips. I need to be able to access the data at every step of the image formation process to be able to inject various types of processing that are most efficient in the different domains accessed.

This image shows a poor resolution representation of my results. My formed (detected) image is on the left. I fade to black at the edges because I am trying to process the full collected extent. As the numerical/spectral support tapers off (to 0 from my padding to avoid further frequency wrapping), the output/formed energy tapers off (to 0) as well. The ‘same’ ESA-formed L1 SLC burst (detected) image is on the right.

I am currently having several problems, though dominated by two areas - mapping formed pixels to ground locations and matching some of the derived formation values defined in “Sentinel-1-Level-1-Detailed-Algorithm-Definition.pdf” (and associated ESA documentation).

Although “Sentinel-1-Level-1-Detailed-Algorithm-Definition.pdf” defines some of the pointing in section 5.1, there is a disconnect in the definition and implementation of the quaternion values. I get different Q0-Q3 values from the L0 raw versus what is published in the same collect/product L1 SLC annotation XML. The PDF defines obtaining some vectors through the use of pitch, roll, and yaw - relate-able to Q0-Q3, but does not actually give an example of the math/process applying the recorded quaternions. Worse, I can not find any way to map from the SLC XML Q0-Q3 to the pitch, roll, and yaw in the same ‘attitude’ section of the XML. (RESOLVED at https://www.researchgate.net/post/Can_someone_explain_the_Sentinel-1_orientation_quanternion_vs_pitch_roll_yaw_numbers_to_me) Does anyone have a write-up or example that walks through the pointing steps using quaternions? (Not resolved…)

(Based on the algorithms and variable definitions in Sentinel-1-Level-1-Detailed-Algorithm-Definition.pdf) In the formation process, there are a number of values that are very important to get right (or at least ‘accurate-ish’) in the frequency unwrapping and the azimuth compression. Although I can get a good approximation of ks, I am having trouble nailing down ka. ka becomes important for my calculation of Ns (duplications of the initial spectrum in the frequency unwrap) and my subsequent deramp and reramp of data. The key function D(f_eta,Vr), (and its details I’m not getting right enough) impact the azimuth compression by skewing the numbers in my formation of the azimuth matched filter. I think I need to resolve the pointing issues/math before I can nail ka, Ns, and D. Has anyone been able to get accurate ka, Ns, and D function approximations without working out all the details of the pointing vectors?

I am happy to make technical exchange for useful, constructive discussion. Please don’t leave answers that say s1tbx does not do image formation (got it!), or that I should look at the documents on the ESA web site (done - referenced above). I have similar threads running on ResearchGate, but haven’t gotten as much response as I expect to get from this Sentinel-1 dedicated forum.

1 Like

I think @peter.meadows and @nuno.miranda might be able to provide some insights.

Dear johnwegrzyn,

1-quaternion usage
I understand that the usage of the quaternions is motivated by the need of estimating the Doppler Centroid frequency.
Our experience is that the quaternions are not really useful as they provide a dynamic of ±5Hz while the actual Doppler centroid frequency could vary between ±100Hz.
I would recommend to implement a Doppler estimator based on the data (e.g. Madsen’s method).
In other words, using the quaternions is almost as accurate as using a fixed 0Hz.

The quaternions are processed (in the SAR processor) by a specific library (called EOCFI) that we use to retrieve the pointing vector. Once the pointing vector is obtained the Doppler is simply given by:
Fdc = -2/lambda * dot (v, r0)

2-FM rate
I am not sure to understand what are D and Ns, but I guess that ka is the FM rate.
The FM rate requires to know the effective velocity (not the spacecraft velocity) and the squint angle.
My fear is that if you use a squint from the quaternions you will never get a super-duper accurate FM rate. However, I can’t tell how big is the error (providing that our squint is pretty limited anyway).

3-Quaternion usage
Just have seen the post in research gate regarding the quaternions.
The EOCFI is an ESA library (API available to users but not the source code) that is used to support orbit/attitude calculation for ALL ESA missions (not only S-1). The EOCFI frame definition is different than the S-1 spacecraft one and it is actually it that imposes to re-arrange the quaternions.
I have added a TN that should explain how to use the quaternions in a way dependent from the EOCFI

Let’s hope that the answer provided are constructive enought :slight_smile:

Nuno Miranda
S-1 Data Quality Manager
EOCFI-NOTE-052_v2_1.pdf (1.4 MB)

2 Likes

Hi John,

An answer has been prepared by the MPC for your similar query to the Copernicus PDGS Coordination Desk - if this has yet to be received yet it should be with you shortly. Also you might find the ESA document Definition of the TOPS SLC deramping function for products generated by the S-1 IPF (https://earth.esa.int/documents/247904/1653442/Sentinel-1-TOPS-SLC_Deramping) of interest for de-ramping parameters such as Ks and ka.

1 Like

Thanks - They have weighed in below!

Thank you very much for the time to reply! Your comments are very helpful. I will look into implementing them and open new discussions as the need arises.

Yes, that is a great document to work through some of the deramping - though it assumes you have computed some things that are still unclear to me. Fortunately, all of those can be found in the Level-1 SLC annotation XML, so there are at least breadcrumbs. I look forward to reading (and sharing) information out of the Copernicus PDGS Coordination Desk reply - thanks!