Sentinel-1 SLC terrain correction

Hi!

I’ve been trying to apply terrain correction and normalization to Sentinel-1 SLC data. The process keeps failing with a Java NullPointerException error. If I’m applying the terrain correction without normalization though, it works.

As pre-processing steps Multi-Looking, Co-Registration and multi-temporal speckle filtering was performed.

Anybody experienced these problems before?

Many thanks,
Felix

Are you using an older s1tbx-1.0 version? It should be ok with the current snap beta 5

Hi!

I am already using SNAP 2.0-beta-5. The problem is still there.

Hello!
Similar problem here, using 2.0-beta8.
If “Apply radiometric normalization” is checked, it fails. Otherwise, it works.
When it fails with 2.0-beta8 I get this log:

org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Terrain-Correction: -1
	at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.OperatorUtils.catchOperatorException(OperatorUtils.java:386)
	at org.esa.s1tbx.sar.gpf.geometric.RangeDopplerGeocodingOp.computeTileStack(RangeDopplerGeocodingOp.java:1047)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeRect(OperatorImageTileStack.java:116)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeTile(OperatorImageTileStack.java:85)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
Caused: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Terrain-Correction: -1
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorExecutor$GPFImagingListener.errorOccurred(OperatorExecutor.java:375)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.sendExceptionToListener(SunTileScheduler.java:1646)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:921)
	at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
	at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2085)
	at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:420)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:406)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:73)
	at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(SourcelessOpImage.java:137)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
	at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.RequestJob.compute(SunTileScheduler.java:247)
[catch] at com.sun.media.jai.util.WorkerThread.run(SunTileScheduler.java:468)

I’m using product S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20151022T105120_20151022T105147_008264_00BA49_3EC2 and auto-downloaded SRTM 3sec DEM (it is an area in Colombia).
Before trying the terrain correction with normalization I only executed “S-1 TOPS Deburst”.

I had the same problem with other images of the same area, with version 1.1.1. Then I moved to 2.0-beta8 hoping it would have worked, but it seems the problem is still there, as reported by felix.

I work on Linux Ubuntu GNOME 64 bit, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM.

Is there a way to get this working?
Many thanks in advance!
Adamo

Adamo thank you for the details. I’ll give it a try.