Sentinel-1b image view Java heap space error on Mac

Hi there,

I am very much a newbie to SNAP so bare with me. I understand a lot of people ask questions like these but all the terminology in this forum sounds like another language to me lol. I have downloaded an image from scihub it is a sentinel-1b image. I use a macbook air 2013. I am getting a java heap space error repeatedly. I have already done a number of tutorials from the course “echoes in space” and I can usually download and view images on SNAP and not run into many problems. I can’t seem to be able to even just view this image. It will download to SNAP, just when I click on a polarization band to view the image is when I get the error. I will paste the error below. My memory is 4gb. Is there anything I can do to change some settings around and avoid this problem. Remember you’re dealing with a real beginner. Thank you.

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Caused: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:192)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.get(SwingWorker.java:602)
[catch] at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.window.OpenImageViewAction$1.done(OpenImageViewAction.java:221)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$5.run(SwingWorker.java:737)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.run(SwingWorker.java:832)
at sun.swing.AccumulativeRunnable.run(AccumulativeRunnable.java:112)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.actionPerformed(SwingWorker.java:842)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:313)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:245)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

4 GB is probably not sufficient, but as it has worked before, maybe just the memory was full.
Please try to close SNAP and open the same image again.

Thank you for your response! I tried this but it did not work. Is there something I can do to allocate more of my memory to SNAP? There are probably things that are unnecessarily using memory. I have deleted a number of things to try and fix the issue but doesn’t seem to be working. Could I download a different image from the same area that might use less memory? It just has to be a sentinel-1 image of the area of our field site. It seems weird that today is the day that SNAP just decided to not let me open any images because I did try and do another tutorial from echoes in space today and had the same issue.

I have no explanation for the fact that you can open some images and others cause the error. Are all of them GRD images with dual-polarization?

Maybe these preliminary FAQs help you:

I have opened up multiple images through out the echoes in space course. However I just went back and opened one from a past tutorial and yes it was a GRD image with a dual polarization and it opened fine. I understand theres no explanation for which images I can open I am more asking if anyone has seen this error before and what my options would be since I have to run a land classification of this image. Can I download a different sentinel-1 image from the same area that might have less GB? Can I buy an external hard drive and hook it up to my macbook and run off that? Can I change some settings in SNAP to overcome this?

where did you store this data? External hard drives are not recommended, because the reading/writing is slower than from the local drive.

You can try to find an image with single polarization, which would have a smaller file size, but the size of an image would be the same.