Sentinel-2 Super-Resolution (all bands at 10m): Snap plugin now available!

Dear all,

I am using the Sentinel 2 super-resolution plugin to downscale Red Edge band 6 to 10 m from Level 2A products. The result band is in digital level (dl) according to the Pixel Info tool. Why it is not dimensionless, as the L2A is corrected at BOA so it has reflectance values? Nevertheless, pixel values make senses (0 to 1). I have read in your article that it preserves the reflectance.

Thank you very much,

The unit ‘dl’ means dimensionless.
See page 32 of S2 MPC Level 2A Input Output Data Definition (esa.int)

1 Like

I have a simple question Sir… I am trying to make super-resolution Sentinel-2 imagery. And by using your Sen2res, it was possible to create all bands 10m resolution images. And then, I made RGB and NIR bands to 5m resolution by using Deep Neural Network. Then, is it possible to use these 5m bands again to create other 10m bands to 5m enhanced resolution? Many thanks!!

Oh, yes, and you can repeat this process to any resolution you like… but there is no magic. The original 20m → 10m algorithm only assumes that objects that are physically present in the scenary have different reflectance in different bands. Hence, it tries to preserve the geometrical details (extracted from all 10m bands), while preserving the reflectance of the 20m bands (if you average the result super-resolved image, you should get back your original 20m band). There are no 5m details in the original picture. All that your neural network is doing is a kind of interpolation from similar images in a gigantic database. The 5m bands you get are a mixture of original scene information, together with many random pieces taken from unspecified images that have more or less similar content. This can be visually very good, and might even be useful for statistical detection applications for example. But these are completely irrelevant for many other applications. So, yes, you could try to super-resolve that again, and again, down to any resolution you want. And, progressively, at each iteration, incorporate more and more spurious details from random images into your scenary. And all the while, with nice looking pictures at each step. A bit like, if you erase a tourist on the grass and fill that missing portion of a picture with an in-painting software, you could get many nice looking photos of grass as a result, some of them with flowers, some of them with other details like small white stones, etc, all these completely irrelevant to what was actually behind the tourist in the original picture.

2 Likes

Hi there, I am attempting to download the Super-Resolution SNAP plugin from the links here http://nicolas.brodu.net/common/recherche/sen2res/sen2res-1.0.nbm and here http://step.esa.int/thirdparties/sen2res/1.0/sen2res-1.0.nbm but it seems that the links are broken. Is there a chance that they are able to be fixed? Thanks in advance

Both links work for me. Maybe you try again.

Also note that the plugin was made for SNAP 5. There is no guarantee that it is still working.
Sen2Res – STEP (esa.int)

Trying the Microsoft Edge browser on my PC was able to make the link work, however Google Chrome on PC and Brave on mobile both refused to download.

1 Like

use edge browser instead of chrome. Worked for me