Sentinel-5 nc files load problem in SNAP

I have had success in importing and processing S5 nc AI_AER files. But I get the following failure/error for the same dates S% CLD and SO2 nc files (on the latest SNAP on Windows 10):

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.metadata.profiles.cf.CfBandPart.getSpectralWavelength(CfBandPart.java:258)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.metadata.profiles.cf.CfBandPart.readCfBandAttributes(CfBandPart.java:80)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.metadata.profiles.cf.CfBandPart.addBand(CfBandPart.java:221)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.metadata.profiles.cf.CfBandPart.lambda$decode$0(CfBandPart.java:180)
at org.esa.snap.core.util.ForLoop.loopN(ForLoop.java:52)
at org.esa.snap.core.util.ForLoop.execute(ForLoop.java:43)
at org.esa.snap.core.util.ForLoop.execute(ForLoop.java:37)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.metadata.profiles.cf.CfBandPart.decode(CfBandPart.java:160)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.NetCdfReadProfile.readProduct(NetCdfReadProfile.java:54)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.DefaultNetCdfReader.readProductNodesImpl(DefaultNetCdfReader.java:62)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.AbstractProductReader.readProductNodes(AbstractProductReader.java:178)
at org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.GenericNetCdfReader.readProductNodesImpl(GenericNetCdfReader.java:89)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.AbstractProductReader.readProductNodes(AbstractProductReader.java:178)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.ProductIO.readProduct(ProductIO.java:182)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ReadProductOperation.run(ReadProductOperation.java:61)
at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
at org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)
[catch] at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

I am accessing the S5 data from the Australian Sentinel data hub.

with thanks,
Michael Hewson

As an update - may I note that the S5 NO2 nc files are working fine importing into SNAP.

Further - the CH4 nc file ingests into SNAP fine too…

Thank you for reporting this issue.
Jira ticket SNAP-3601 created.

Dear Michael,

in general, SNAP does not fully support Sentinel 5p Level 2 data. Nevertheless, you can open the data using the generic NetCDF reader of SNAP, as you obviously do.

Concerning the crash: this was caused by a misformatted attribute:

PRODUCT/SUPPORT_DATA/DETAILED_RESULTS/INPUT_DATA/scaled_small_pixel_variance

This variable has an empty attribute “radiation_wavelength” which caused the crash.

I have updated the code to gently ignore that issue; the update will be released with SNAP 10.

With best regards,

Tom