SNAP 8.0 - Open product using SSH?

Hi everyone!

I’m new to SNAP.
I have a question - is there an option to open product located in remote machine using some SSH utility? Or I must open local files?

Thanks.

If the local machine is macOS or linux, you can use sshfs. There is also Windows 10 sshfs using cygwin, but it may not be suitable for demanding workloads.

1 Like

@gnwiii - I don’t think this is something that can easily be used in practice - it would be tremendously slow.

I believe that right now SNAP only supports reading data locally. We have discussed about reading data remotely (something like gdal vrt and vfs) but I don’t think we are there yet.

What’s your exact use case?

@marpet / @mengdahl sorry for jumping on this one.

1 Like

@cristianoLopes Virtual File Systems (VFS) have been implemented, they are configurable under Options/General/Remote File Repositories. Or search for “VFS” in the Help for details. I think we need a tutorial @kraftek @oana_hogoiu to spark some more testing/usage of this functionality.

Virtual File System SNAP Help.pdf (478.1 KB)

1 Like

:innocent: live and learn… yes an example might help.

Hi. My case study:
I’m a master student. There is a linux-centos 7 server located in the university includes directories containing hundreds of S1, S2, S3 images of a research area (of the last 3 years; TBs of storage). I connect to this server using SSH from home. There’s no GUI/ Desktop in this server; only command-line/api.

I want to apply some RS indices on some images, so I wander if I can do it using SNAP 8.0 (installed on my home laptop; Ubuntu 20.04) from remote, and send the outputs back to the remote server.

You might be able to do it with the Remote Execution processor under Tools, if you can setup it to work over SSH(?)

If that fails you can always install SNAP on the remote server and execute your graphs (run GPT) from a script, and download the resulting output products.

I am afraid that your options are limited. Even if you managed to enable an sshfs (which would be too slow), I doubt it would be stable.

You will need to download data locally (pieces at a time) or convince your university admins to install snap close® to the data - i.e. as Marcus is indicating.