SNAP memory issues while importing S3 products

Dear All,
I am a new user of SNAP and I am having issues while importing S3 products.
I do the following to import the desired files:
file/import/optical Sensors/S-3/S-3.
In the best case scenario nothing happens, in the worst case scenario the program freezes. But then an icon appears on the bottom right corner that opens a list of error linked to java:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded and java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I am struggling to fix this and would appreciate some help to resolve this issue.

best regards,
Yoann

Hi Yoann,

In your mail you also said that this happens when you work with synergy products. Those products are pretty memory consuming. Probably you only have 4GB of RAM in your computer. I fear this is not enough.

Dear Marco,
I am curently using 8 GB of RAM.
Which amount do you think would be necessary?

I though 8GB would be enough. I have 16GB and it works for me.
Maybe you can increase the amount of memory SNAP can use.
Open snap.conf (in etc folder of the installation dir). Ensure that you have write permission.
Increase the -J-Xmx value. Maybe to something like -J-Xmx6300M.

5 Likes

Oh yes that did the trick. Thanks a lot.
I can now open files.

best regards,
Yoann

Thank you!
It’s working for me.

Hi, I am getting the same problem.

How do i get write permission to modify snap.conf. I have my own laptop.
My file says “default_options=”–branding snap --locale en_GB -J-XX:+AggressiveOpts -J-Xverify:none -J-Xms256M -J-Xmx11G -J-Dnetbeans.mainclass:"

Did you mean changing the J-Xms256M to J-Xms6300M

Thanks.

the lower value (265M) will not have a large effect. If you are working on linux you can set the file privilleges with the chmod command. https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/it-ops/linux-file-permissions

So should I change J-Xmx11G to J-Xmx6300M instead.

I am on Windows 10. How do I get the write permission on it.

how much RAM do you have?

For the permissions, please try this: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/set-file-folder-permissions-windows/

i have 16 gb and i tb ssd

then 12G is a reasonable maximum

Thank you Mr. Braun.