SNAP new Version BIG Problem with data gaps!

Yes, I have to keep this in mind. Especially these days. In the last years every class was given at the university in our PC labs. But due to Corona, all my students are working from home with their personal computers. So much more problems due to this situation…

there it is

can confirm this happens at random tiles.

Not a solution, but maybe for your course (until we have a response from the developers): You could use the Mask Manager to identify these areas based on the NDVI and work on with that.

I have followed the discussion. It could be that there is an issue, we will check.
It might take some time till we can have a look at this problem. Currently we are tackling some other issues already which have a high priority too.

I’ve created an issue for this. So we don’t forget it.
[SNAP-1382] Missing tiles in image view - JIRA (atlassian.net)

Thanks, Florian for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your help!

@ABraun, this problem is not specific to mask-bands. It also appears for normal calculations. And my students need the Band Math Tool for change detection calculations and more.

@marpet thanks a lot. I will follow the issue. If this cant be solved in time, I will recommend using SNAP 7 for my students for their final project.

Best regards,
Geo

Thank you for reporting this, I raised the priority of the ticket to the highest level = “blocker”. Hopefully the root cause can be identified and we can issue a fix with the next module update.

I have also reproduced it:

And in log file there are a lot of JAI errors:

SEVERE [global]
java.lang.NullPointerException
SEVERE [global]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Waiting thread received a null tile.
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(Unknown Source)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(Unknown Source)
at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(Unknown Source)
at org.esa.snap.core.image.VirtualBandOpImage.addDataToReferredRasterDataSymbols(VirtualBandOpImage.java:307)
at org.esa.snap.core.image.VirtualBandOpImage.computeTile(VirtualBandOpImage.java:235)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(Unknown Source)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(Unknown Source)
at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(Unknown Source)
at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.ProductIO.writeTile(ProductIO.java:602)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.ProductIO.lambda$writeRasterDataFully$0(ProductIO.java:578)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
[catch] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
SEVERE [null]: Last record repeated again.
SEVERE [global]
SEVERE [null]: Last record repeated 3 more times.
SEVERE [org.esa.snap]: JAI error occurred: ‘Problem occurs when computing a tile by the owner.’ at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler@2ea4071c

Update:
When closing the product (and choosing to save it), the JAI error mentioned above in the log also appears in SNAP:

@geonow When I retired I planned to study the nature of problems reported in the NASA SeaDAS and ESA SNAP forums. Remote work has been difficult for people who were using lab systems configured and managed by staff and suddenly find themselves having to manage the tools on a personal system (often stuck with under-configured hardware due to ongoing shortages of RAM and mass storage). In our workshops, as the SeaDAS software we used didn’t run on Windows, devoting a couple afternoons to an introduction to the linux command-line proved helpful. Not only students, but other instructors, gave very positive feedback.

It seems that the error appears when saving the product containing more than one band that was created with BandMath.
If the product is saved after each new band created with BandMath, then when re-opening the product, everything looks ok.

Maybe this can be a temporary workaround for you and your students until this issue will be fixed.

3 Likes

@oana_hogoiu Thanks a lot for your workaround! I will inform my students about this solution. Nevertheless, I prefer to recommend using SNAP7 instead, as this version works 100% errorless compared to the current version of SNAP8. My students have to use the BandMath tool quite intense, so it will be a bigger drawback, if they have to save their results minute by minute.

Best regards,
Geo

1 Like

Hello Geonow,
Ever since SNAP 8 appeared, I had the same information gap problems when using band calculation, for both optical and radar images. This latest update has so many problems that it makes it very difficult to use it. I thought that the information gap problems were due to a memory problem, but I see that it is not. I had to go back to version 7. There are also many problems with the SAOCOM plugin.

Please report the bugs you encounter properly (see FAQ) so the teams can check what is going on.

I have solved the problems related to the Band Maths, the Copernicus DEM algorithm, and the estimation of the gamma and beta coefficient for the SAOCOM, 1C format of the StripMap and TOPSAR Narrow images, thanks to the suggestions and contributions of the forum.

2 Likes

@Skylab / Hector, would you consider to write a short guide explaining how you did this? It would be a great help for the rest of the community.

1 Like

The solutions I found in the same forum. The gaps in Band Math when calculating new bands are solved by leaving the bands in virtual form, temporarily. To pass to gamma or beta coefficients, use the angle of incidence in Tie-point Grid (incident_angle), and do the formula:
Gamma0 is Sigma0 / cos (incident angle * PI / 180)
Beta0 is Sigma0 / sin (incident angle * PI / 180)
In auxiliary data in the DEM folder, Copernicus, install the DEM files downloaded from the website, and that way I could solve the gaps.

java.lang.NullPointerException. I am also getting corruption of image files that are causing gaps in the data. the gaps are appearing after creating a interferogram of a coregistered ALOS SAR image pair. the problem does not occur in the coregistration processing. on the left is the interferogram after its created and remains in SNAP without gaps. in all cases the virtual bands are converted and the created images saved. when i close the product and redisplay, gaps appear in the phase (on right) and average intensity images but not in the coherence or either real and imaginary complex images. although the gaps shift, I have repeated this several times (using the same coregistered images) with the same outcome. its not a visualization problem. below the two images, I’ve pasted the first three and the last several lines of the error details. thank you.

SEVERE [org.esa.snap]: JAI error occurred: ‘Problem occurs when computing a tile by the owner.’ at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler@7f87c931

SEVERE [global]
INFO [org.esa.snap.rcp.windows.ProductSceneViewTopComponent]: >> componentClosed
INFO [null]: Last record repeated 2 more times.
INFO [org.esa.snap.rcp.windows.ProductSceneViewTopComponent]: >> componentDeselected
INFO [org.esa.snap.rcp.util.ContextGlobalExtenderImpl]: removed: key = view, oldValue = org.esa.snap.ui.product.ProductSceneView[[2] Phase_ifg_HH_15Mar2020_21Jun2020,0,0,1492x908,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777225,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=]
INFO [org.esa.snap.rcp.SnapApp]: Request to stop SNAP Desktop

Would it be possible to share the trublesome product in question for debugging? This is potentially a blocking bug @lveci

thanks mengdahl, I would definitely appreciate the help if its possible.
the data are via a grant and licensed to JAXA, so can’t be shared openly or stored. if that’s okay, then I believe yes and again thanks.

hi mengdahl, just checking to see if there is still interest in receiving the data for debugging. I am certainly interested in help in solving the error. thanks

@lveci can you duplicate the issue?

Yes, If you could please provide the data products and the steps to repeat the problem then we can look to get it fixed. thanks