Snap2stamps package: a free tool to automate the SNAP-StaMPS Workflow

according to my experience with Anaconda (python 2.7) and these pages, all Anaconda distributions include pathlib:
https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/packages/pkg-docs/

You both may be right! Indeed I have just checked that I installed the required library on the system, and not in anaconda. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks again for keeping it sharp! :wink:

two question when i process 30 images(1 master+29 slaves) by snap2stamps tools the project.conf file i used is like this:

the master file is the one that had been splitted and applied orbit file in snap, is this exist any errors?
and i finished cored_ifg_topsar.py

the config file looks fine. Just make sure you call the scripts in the correct order

1. prepare slaves
  2. split slaves
  3. coregistration and interferogram generation
  4. export

ok,a question about para settings of snap disurbes me in the manual:
in my gpt.vmoptions file,I set the XMX to32G as my computer memory space,and i dont konw konw how to set the tileCachaeSize and defaultTileSize acoording my compute

Dear @zhuhaxixiong,

I also have 32GB RAM computer and I normally set the tileCacheSize to 8192 and defaultTileSize to 2048.
I hope this helps.

ok, thanks a lot.when i do the final step stamps_export, the process is really long, my friend close my process window by acccident.when i restart my machine and check the file it export, there are only ssome part of ,so should i export again,and the process restart from the first file.

Dear @zhuhaxixiong,
In fact this is a good point of discussion.

It can be included for next versions to check if the file exists or not before process it again, and it can be included as an option that the final user should decide whether to activate or not.

Essentially the main issue to apply or not such check to avoid re-processing again files, we cannot ensure the file found is fully correct or for example was stopped while being processed. If it would be the latter case, the process would start on the next file, not reprocessing the file which processing was accidentally stopped. I am not I am clear enough with it.

In any case, I will include the overwrite option, in which will be the final user the one responsible to check the integrity of the files. For the future I may think a better option to do so. Again, any feedback is welcome.

Cheers

1 Like

thank you very much

when i use this tools to export ,what should i change in the mt_prep_gamma and ps_load_initial file

My suggestion is to download the current StaMPS version, for which you should change nothing else.

Get it from https://github.com/dbekaert/stamps by cloning or downloading the current version, and not downloading from the release section. Doing so you get the latest updates which help you to deal and avoid potential errors in successive StaMPS steps.

Cheers

and you means i do not need to replace the two files i get from the forum?

In the github package you have everything you need.
In the forum you may find several versions of those files, but within the github package you get them updated.

I hope this helps

1 Like

ok,maybe there should a new text like"PS Using Manual_3.1" more exactly

Sorry but I dot not get it.
New StaMPS version is 4.1b and it seems well organised to me, including the User Manual.

Enjoy!

1 Like

thanks alot

1 Like

Thank you for the work on this script!
I was just going to write my own one from scratch but this is so much better.
I think in the future I would like to remove the .xml graphs and instead just use python + snappy scripts to make it nice and smooth.

Can you please help with the question in the end of this long post?

I have successfully ran snap2stamps in a ubuntu docker container on a server as follows…
First the master output naming convention caught me out.
For now you need to run it in GUI (split + orbit) with more than one burst and name the output file the same as the S1 product with a different suffix.
I think you should just make it part of processing.
Attached is an .xml file you could add, it takes a WKT polygon as input so it will extract only the bursts that overlap the polygon. master-split.xml (1.0 KB).
Run this with an input master scene and a wkt text file as follows (cat just reads the wkt file which looks like: POLYGON((18.16 -32.88,18.53 -32.88,18.53 -33.11,18.16 -33.11,18.16 -32.88)) get it from wkt online)

gpt ./master-split.xml -t “./S1A_XXXX_orb” -PsourceFile="./S1A_XXXX.zip" -Pwkt="$(cat ./aoi.wkt)"

I run the entire snap2stamps with a bash script wrapper as follows - I think snap2stamps should also do this. It can source the wkt from the project.conf file.

#! /bin/bash
gpt /home/scripts/master-split.xml -t gpt ./master-split.xml -t “./S1A_XXXX_orb” -PsourceFile="./S1A_XXXX.zip" -Pwkt="$(cat ./aoi.wkt)"
python ./slaves_prep.py ./project.conf
python ./splitting_slaves.py /.project.conf
python ./coreg_ifg_topsar.py /.project.conf
python ./stamps_export.py /.project.conf

I run all of this with a snap dockerfile that I pulled with:

FROM mrmoor/esa-snap-with-python:latest

I also had to install pathlib in the dockerfile with:

RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y git python-pathlib

I also pull snap2stamps with:

RUN mkdir -p /home/software/ && cd /home/software/ &&
git clone https://github.com/mdelgadoblasco/snap2stamps.git &&
chmod +x /home/software/*

In the docker I then run an entrypoint script with this configure snappy:

echo “-Xmx64G” > /usr/local/snap/bin/gpt.vmoptions
echo “snap.parallelism = 16” >> /usr/local/snap/etc/snap.properties
/usr/local/snap/bin/snappy-conf /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python /root/.snap/snap-python/snappy/setup.py install

My problem is with the mt_prep_snap script. I use the one that comes with Stamps.
I am attempting to run Stamps with Octave instead of Matlab. Wouldn’t this be amazing?
So I am using Octave v4.4.1 in a docker with the csh shell and I change this line in mt_prep_snap from
matlab -nojvm -nosplash -nodisplay < $STAMPS/matlab/ps_parms_in_itial.m > ps_parms_initial.log
to
octave < $STAMPS/matlab/ps_parms_in_itial.m > ps_parms_initial.log

I get the following output:
mt_prep_snap 20170730 /home/in/131/INSAR_20170730 0.4

mt_prep_snap Andy Hooper, August 2017

Amplitude Dispersion Threshold: 0.4
Processing 1 patch(es) in range and 1 in azimuth

octave: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
octave: disabling GUI features
opening /home/in/131/INSAR_20170730/rslc/20150331.rslc…
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
mt_extract_cands Andy Hooper, Jan 2007

Patch: PATCH_1
selpsc_patch /home/in/131/INSAR_20170730/selpsc.in patch.in pscands.1.ij pscands.1.da mean_amp.flt f 1
file name for zero amplitude PS: pscands.1.ij0
dispersion threshold = 0.4
width = 9162
number of amplitude files = 0
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

psclonlat /home/in/131/INSAR_20170730/psclonlat.in pscands.1.ij pscands.1.ll
opening pscands.1.ij…
Error opening file pscands.1.ij

pscdem /home/in/131/INSAR_20170730/pscdem.in pscands.1.ij pscands.1.hgt
opening pscands.1.ij…
pscdem: Error opening file pscands.1.ij

pscphase /home/in/131/INSAR_20170730/pscphase.in pscands.1.ij pscands.1.ph
opening pscands.1.ij…
Error opening file pscands.1.ij

So the main error is the Segmentation fault when opening the first scene. The scene looks fine. Wonder if anyone has any ideas? Is this more a question for MAINSAR?

In terms of snap2stamps. Why does it create target.dim and target.data files in the PROJECT directory? I see the data are interferograms, is this then the output before export to Stamps? It would be nice if this had a better filename and output directory.

1 Like

Hi @andretheronsa,

Indeed your suggestions regarding snap2stamps are points in which I wanted to update for next release.
Regarding the data on the project directory… call target.dim I think it is a bug of the StaMPS export operator which I will handle (removing it after exporting) on the next version of the scripts.

I have one question regarding your master processing, is that method extracting only the full burst matching (intersecting) with the WKT polygon? In fact the polygon in WKT can be handle directly on my scripts (as done for the coregistration/interferogram step) but at the time I have created I had the doubt that it could be extracted the full burst (otherwise you get issues on the coregistration step) using a polygon.

I would love to try your approach for the master processing and include it on next version (indeed it is a big improvement in this regard). So thank you very much for your suggestion.

Regarding octave instead of maltab, that represents a big challenge in fact! but the mt_prep file does not use matlab, but binaries which should be compiled once you get StaMPS package. Is it correct or I am wrong?

Let me know, probably we could discuss about improving the scripts functionalities…

1 Like

Thanks for your replies and work!

Noted about the target.dim

Yes, so far in my testing that method extracts the full bursts intersecting the WKT. So it does not clip the bursts and it also does not pull any bursts not in the WKT. So I think it works well. So yes, that polygon=(geosjon x,y etc.) approach in your other scripts should work for the master script too. If this is included in the next version it will simplify your code by totally eliminating the Master format confusion as well as making it automated.

An Octave-StAMPS thread somewhere would be nice - my institute is not interested in paying for Matlab.
Since this community is all about open source, and my PhD is all about open source PSI processing I am trying REALLY hard to get Octave to work with Stamps. I have earlier in the year managed to get to step 5 in Octave without needing to change too much. Just going over the scripts and fixing one or two lines in each script after googling the matlab/octave known inconsistencies. One important learning point was that there was a bug in versions prior to Octave v4.4.1 that resulted in some needed Stamps scripts to fail.

I THINK you are wrong about the binaries, unless I am doing something wrong?
I can read the mt_prep_snap script which is a csh script that calls a matlab function in line 146…

I would like to help where I can. I need this workflow automated and robust for my PhD in any case.

2 Likes

Thanks again for your comments.

I am eager to find anything that could work with StaMPS in non matlab environment, so let me know if you are thinking to distribute your code or needing somebody to discuss or test your code.

Regarding mt_prep, you are right, I did not see that in addition to calamp and mt_extract_cands, it also calls matlab for running the ps_parms_initial.m

Thanks for your comments and good luck with the PhD!

1 Like