SNAPHU installation on Mac Big Sur ZSH terminal

if the installation scripts expect this file structure its probably the easiest solution to provide it so that the installation can proceed.

2 Likes

But Andreas at first the man and man1 directory weren’t there so I created it. Now you’re saying make another man it will spit out error again. But let me try

Nothing 🤷🏻

Quoting Armin Briegel

“You should be comfortable with using Terminal on macOS.”

For much of my career I was involved with introductory workshops for ocean remote sensing. One lesson from those workshops was that spending time learning basic command-line concepts was far more useful than just having participants follow step-by-step recipes.

At this point, we can’t provide step-by-step instructions because we don’t understand the status of your system. There are also some changes with macOS Big Sur, so unless someone else running the same OS jumps in, it is up to you to learn enough of basic linux and macOS shell usage, and how Big Sur differs from linux (which is more widely used by members of this forum) so you can adapt linux recipes to your system.

The differences in managing environment variables on macOS are why the previously mentioned macOS document ( zsh configuration on macOS) is needed. This document assumes some basic knowledge of the zsh or bash shell. The author has written a book specific to macOS, but it won’t be available for another week. Meanwhile, Linux Command written for bash and linux is 95% relevant to maxOS and zsh.

Moving on – it is impossible to tell from the images where the man1 directory was found. It would be better to paste text from the terminal into your posts. Please post the output from echo $PATH to show us the current setting of the PATH variable, ls -l /usr/local/bin/snaphu and ls -l /usr/local/man/man1/snaphu.1 which appear to be the normal locations of the snaphu program and the manual page. I think the man program looks for the snaphu manual pages relative the location of of the snaphu program from the PATH variable. This means that, while /usr/local/bin/snaphu should run the program, man snaphu won’t work until the PATH includes /usr/local/bin.

5 Likes

@aphrodite1/@aphrodite, I think gnwii pretty much summed it up. You need to get some basic knowledge of how a unix/linux/bsd console works - independently of the shell - so that you can understand a bit better what we are trying to ask / instruct you.

From the screenshoot of the first post in this topic I seem to understand that the installation script copied the executable to /usr/local/bin and the manual page to /usr/local/man/man1. If you cannot run the executable or find the man page this is an indication that you system is not configured to search for executables or man pages in those places. How you configure this is something very specific to the system and we are not fluent on Mac OS (specially Big Sur which just came out) to give further guidance.

I would still ask you to please post the results of both commands that gnwii presented:

ls -l /usr/local/bin/snaphu

and

ls -l /usr/local/bin/man/man1/snaphu.1

These should allows to confirm the the installation script managed to copy the files in those places or not.

1 Like