Snappy install with windows/conda

I know this question has been asked before but I’m having trouble following the threads, and they seem to be from a few years ago so I am not sure if things have changed.

I need to install snappy so I can bulk process SAR data in python

I am following these install instructions.

I uninstalled SNAP and then reinstalled making sure my python interpreter was pointing to my conda environment’s (called “gis”) python executable and then opened the SNAP command prompt and wrote:
snappy-conf C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\python.exe
and also tried
snappy-conf C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\python.exe C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis
but I get the same error:

The launcher has determined that the parent process has a console and will reuse it for its own console output.
Closing the console will result in termination of the running program.
Use '--console suppress' to suppress console output.
Use '--console new' to create a separate console window.
Configuring SNAP-Python interface...
java.io.IOException: Python configuration failed.
Command [C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\python.exe .\snappyutil.py --snap_home "C:\Program Files\snap" --java_module C:\Users\EM\AppData\Roaming\SNAP\modules\org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar --force --log_file .\snappyutil.log --jvm_max_mem 22G --java_home "C:\Program Files\snap\jre\jre" --req_arch amd64]
failed with return code 10.
Please check the log file 'C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\snappy\snappyutil.log'.
    at org.esa.snap.python.PyBridge.configureJpy(PyBridge.java:232)
    at org.esa.snap.python.PyBridge.installPythonModule(PyBridge.java:149)
    at org.esa.snap.rcp.cli.SnapArgsProcessor.processPython(SnapArgsProcessor.java:103)
    at org.esa.snap.rcp.cli.SnapArgsProcessor.process(SnapArgsProcessor.java:49)
    at org.netbeans.modules.sendopts.DefaultProcessor.process(DefaultProcessor.java:202)
    at org.netbeans.spi.sendopts.Option$1.process(Option.java:387)
    at org.netbeans.api.sendopts.CommandLine.process(CommandLine.java:317)
    at org.netbeans.modules.sendopts.HandlerImpl.execute(HandlerImpl.java:62)
    at org.netbeans.modules.sendopts.Handler.cli(Handler.java:69)
    at org.netbeans.CLIHandler.notifyHandlers(CLIHandler.java:234)
    at org.netbeans.core.startup.CLICoreBridge.cli(CLICoreBridge.java:82)
    at org.netbeans.CLIHandler.notifyHandlers(CLIHandler.java:234)
    at org.netbeans.CLIHandler$1.exec(CLIHandler.java:268)
    at org.netbeans.CLIHandler.finishInitialization(CLIHandler.java:447)
    at org.netbeans.MainImpl.finishInitialization(MainImpl.java:256)
    at org.netbeans.Main.finishInitialization(Main.java:92)
    at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.start(Main.java:316)
    at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopThreadGroup.run(TopThreadGroup.java:123)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Python configuration error: Python configuration failed.
Command [C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\python.exe .\snappyutil.py --snap_home "C:\Program Files\snap" --java_module C:\Users\EM\AppData\Roaming\SNAP\modules\org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar --force --log_file .\snappyutil.log --jvm_max_mem 22G --java_home "C:\Program Files\snap\jre\jre" --req_arch amd64]
failed with return code 10.
Please check the log file 'C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\snappy\snappyutil.log'.

so I go to the log and see:

INFO: Installing from Java module ‘C:\Users\EM\AppData\Roaming\SNAP\modules\org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar’
INFO: Installing jpy…
ERROR: The module ‘jpy’ is required to run snappy, but no binary ‘jpy’ wheel matching the pattern
‘jpy-{version}-cp37-{abi_tag}-win_amd64.whl’ could be found.
You can try to build a ‘jpy’ wheel yourself, then copy it into
“C:\Users\EM.conda\envs\gis\snappy”, and then run the configuration again.
Unzip the jpy sources in C:\Users\EM.conda\envs\gis\snappy/jpy-.zip, then
cd jpy-<version> python setup.py bdist_wheel
cp dist/*.whl "C:\Users\EM\.conda\envs\gis\snappy" Or get the source code from https://github.com/bcdev/jpy and follow the build instructions: git clone https://github.com/bcdev/jpy.git
$ cd jpy
ERROR: Configuration failed with exit code 10

but where do I find this whl that I need? I tried looking online and it seems like it’s complicated to make one?

any help is appreciated

The cp37 indicates you are using Python-3.7. As mentioned in the instructions, SNAP provides binary wheels for jpy up to Python 3.6, so, unless other tools you want to use require 3.7, you should create an environment for Python-3.6 to use with SNAP snappy.

Be sure that the simple tests in the referenced document work before going further so you don’t end up creating new problems.

If you need other Python software that requires Python-3.7 then you will need to create your own binary wheel. This does work, but is not a well tested configuration so could introduce problems, that don’t occur using Python-3.6.

I recommend that you avoid installing snappy in your Python-3.x environment because there are other packages called “snappy”. The instructions you reference provide a method based on modifying python scripts that used SNAP snappy by determining the location of the SNAP snappy module from the USERPROFILE environment variable.

oh gosh I don’t know why I thought I was using 3.6, thank you I will try that out.

I’m attempting to install Snappy within an Anaconda environment for utilization in Jupyter Notebook. Despite attempting various methods, including using the SNAP interface during the installation of SNAP and employing commands like “snappy-conf ” with different Python versions (e.g., 2.7, 3.6, 3.7 and so on) and SNAP versions (7, 8, 9), I’m encountering an issue where Snappy does not load into Jupyter Notebook.

Upon executing the commands, a Snappy folder with all the necessary files is created in the environment packages. However, when inspecting the list of installed packages in the Conda environment, Snappy is absent, preventing its use in Jupyter Notebook. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to successfully install Snappy on the Windows platform.

Thank you