snappy-JPY Installation on Windows 10

I am trying to install jpy on my windows 10 laptop as I want to use snappy. I followed all the steps given on these links for Windows 10 -
https://jpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html

But when I am giving my last command (this)-
python setup.py build maven bdist_wheel

I am getting the following error -
running build
running build_py
copying jpyutil.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.6
running build_ext
error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

Also when I am trying this command -
python setup.py --maven build

I am getting the following error -
usage: setup.py [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] …]
or: setup.py --help [cmd1 cmd2 …]
or: setup.py --help-commands
or: setup.py cmd --help

error: option --maven not recognized

I am not sure what is happening! I followed all the steps listed on both the links, still no luck.
I have one more question - Is it necessary to have jpy installed to use snappy?

Thank you.

Do you have Maven installed? It is not mentioned in the doc to be required, but it is.

Hi marpet,
I have installed Maven. I ran a test program and it worked perfectly fine. Today, I tried to configure SNAP-Python interface directly to use snappy. I followed instructions on this site -
https://senbox.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SNAP/pages/50855941/Configure+Python+to+use+the+SNAP-Python+snappy+interface

I was successfully able to install snappy on my conda environment with python version 2.7. I was able to run test code given by you. Now my current goal is to run code given here -

After installing snappy, I successfully able to import jpy surprisingly.(import jpy is working for code given in above website) But the problem occurred because I am unable to install basic libraries such as numpy as these libraries are removed for python 2.7.
So I have two questions. First question is do we need to install jpy before snappy or is it fine if my snappy is working? And second one is I am unable to install certain libraries on python 2.7 as they need recent versions of python, so should I try to install snappy for python 3.7 or 3.8??

@marpet I have installed snappy without going through installation of JPY given above. My code is working fine, I am getting results. Also, I am successfully able to import jpy through snappy module. So, I have a question, does separate jpy installation necessary in my case as I am able to run my codes successfully?

For those who want to install snappy with conda version, they can refer to this site -

Thanks

Hi Hrishikesh,

thank you for sharing this resource. This has sehd some light for me on how i could configure snappy to work properly.
When following the steps in your link unfortunately i recieved an Error message:
Do you know how to resolve this issue?

and maybe also @marpet which are the Python versions supported by SNAP to date?

Hi @konrad.bauer,
I am not quite sure about the error you are facing. It seems some required modules are missing. Can you tell me at which step did you face this error?

For me, the procedure mentioned in given website is working fine. Also, I want to tell you that easiest way to configure python-SNAP API without facing any complexities is while installing SNAP as described in given site -

https://senbox.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SNAP/pages/50855941/Configure+Python+to+use+the+SNAP-Python+snappy+interface

For your kind information, I am using python 3.6.10 which is working pretty well with SNAP.

Thanks and Regards

Hi konrad.bauer,

It seems that your SNAP installation is corrupted. Some module are not found which are pretty low level and mandatory. Like org.openide.awt. They belong to the NetBeans Application Platform we are using. So I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling SNAP.

The latest officially supported Python version is 3.4. But as @Hrishikesh already said also 3.6 is working and even 3.7 should work, I think.

I’ve added recently a new entry to the tutorials in the “external resources” section. Getting Started with SNAP Toolbox in Python.
But it is pretty similar to the one @Hrishikesh already linked above.

Hi marpet,

thanks for your suggestion. I have reinstalled both my Anaconda setup and SNAP and now it is working fine. I have configured an environment with python 3.6 and will see if I face issues with that.

Cheers,

Konrad

1 Like