Software regression ? [NodeId: Coherence] [slvProductName] is null

Hello everyone,

I used to compute the coherence on the results of Back-Geocoding of two products (that are also the results of back-geocoding with a Master). (BandSelect .*_slv1_.*)

The results were four layers (two VV and two VH), but two of them were blank (I assumed it computed the coherence between the Master and the Master).

Then I selected the two bands that were valid and everything worked like a charm.

Lately, I updated my toolbox, and now, I have a message stated that the coherence cannot be computed due to a null ProductName. (The results of the last BackGeocoding: 20150604_D24_IW1_33295_coregextract_Stack.zip (870.0 KB))

INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Initializing external tool adapters
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.util.EngineVersionCheckActivator: Please check regularly for new updates for the best SNAP experience.
INFO: org.hsqldb.persist.Logger: dataFileCache open start
[slvProductName] is null
org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: [slvProductName] is null
	at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.OperatorUtils.catchOperatorException(OperatorUtils.java:432)
	at org.esa.s1tbx.insar.gpf.CoherenceOp.initialize(CoherenceOp.java:232)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.initializeOperator(OperatorContext.java:528)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getTargetProduct(OperatorContext.java:298)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.Operator.getTargetProduct(Operator.java:385)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.runOperator(CommandLineTool.java:306)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.runGraphOrOperator(CommandLineTool.java:284)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.run(CommandLineTool.java:188)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.run(CommandLineTool.java:121)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.GPT.run(GPT.java:60)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.GPT.main(GPT.java:37)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher.lambda$run$0(Launcher.java:55)
	at org.esa.snap.runtime.Engine.runClientCode(Engine.java:189)
	at org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:51)
	at org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:31)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:84)
	at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher.start(UnixLauncher.java:66)
	at install4j.org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher_gpt.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: [slvProductName] is null
	at org.esa.snap.core.util.Guardian.assertNotNull(Guardian.java:67)
	at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.StackUtils.saveSlaveProductBandNames(StackUtils.java:129)
	at org.esa.s1tbx.insar.gpf.CoherenceOp.createTargetProduct(CoherenceOp.java:439)
	at org.esa.s1tbx.insar.gpf.CoherenceOp.initialize(CoherenceOp.java:216)
	... 24 more

Error: [slvProductName] is null
-- org.jblas INFO Deleting /tmp/jblas2750746498868856509/libquadmath-0.so
-- org.jblas INFO Deleting /tmp/jblas2750746498868856509/libjblas.so
-- org.jblas INFO Deleting /tmp/jblas2750746498868856509/libjblas_arch_flavor.so
-- org.jblas INFO Deleting /tmp/jblas2750746498868856509/libgfortran-4.so
-- org.jblas INFO Deleting /tmp/jblas2750746498868856509

I don’t know if it’s a regression or more probably a wrong designed graph. Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks for you help !!

Wouldn’t it be easier to put all three input images into one BackGeocoding list?

Thanks for your answer.

Actually, I process a batch of products (e.g. a year of images, registered on the first image of the timeserie, the “master”). To save time, I do it in two steps. First, I do the backgeocoding of all images with the “master”, select the slave band and store the result. Then, I compute the backgeocoding & coherence of two consecutive images.

I did not know we can do a backgeocoding of a list. I have to think about it and do some benchmarks.

Do you think it will solve the problem (slvProductName is null) ?

Would be worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I changed my graph to have one BackGeocoding list :

Unfortunately, it only computes the coherence between Master&Slave1 and Master&Slave2.
Master=03Jan2019
Slave1=09Jan2019
Slave2=15Jan2019

I tried to select the slave bands only and disable “SingleMaster” option (otherwise, it does nothing), but it only outputs the VV coherence.

How can I get the coherence VV/VH between Slave1 & Slave2 ?

I don’t understand what SingleMaster is, but I have strange behavior.

Below, two coherence images (I used BandSelect=VV before computing the coherence), the upper one is with SingleMaster=True. Results is 03jan/09jan, the second one is with SingleMaster=false. Results is 09jan/03jan (the opposite). Except for the black dots, the images are exactly the same.

I’m lost…

sorry, I don’t get it.
Let’s say you have

• img1=03Jan2019
  • img2=09Jan2019
  • img3=15Jan2019

what do you need in the end?

I need the coherence between img2&img3.
But I would like img2 and img3 coregistrated with img1.
(actually, I have many more images, and I would like all of them to be coregistrated with img1)

I’d say unabling the “single master” option should to the task, but somehow it still has issues with Sentinel-1 data. It worked for me with stripmap products.

Unfortunately, with SingleMaster=False, I only get CoherenceVV and sometimes, I have black dots on my image…
I’m trying to find a workaround (using BandSelect, two steps BackGeocoding…), but I always run into a problem…

Maybe the align to standard grid allows you to coregister the data independently while aligning it to the reference image. How can I snap outputs of terrain correction to a given grid? - #3 by valgur
I have never tried it myself though.

To compute coherence, the two products must be backgeocoded together. I don’t think it works to backgeocode them with the same reference and then compute the coherence between them.

I decided to dive into the code and I have two fixes to suggest:

• To fix the “software regression” (commit: 7759322509 (“update StackUtils and add test”, 2021-04-08) on snap-engine), it’s a little bit ugly, but it works:
    s1tbx-op-insar/src/main/java/org/esa/s1tbx/insar/gpf/CoherenceOp.java
@@ -436,6 +442,10 @@ public class CoherenceOp extends Operator {

if (singleMaster) {
                     String slvProductName = StackUtils.findOriginalSlaveProductName(sourceProduct, container.sourceSlave.realBand);
+                    if (slvProductName == null){
+                        SystemUtils.LOG.warning("createTargetProduct: slvProductName is null");
+                        continue;
+                    }
                     StackUtils.saveSlaveProductBandNames(targetProduct, slvProductName,
                             targetBandNames.toArray(new String[0]));
                 }
  • To fix the “singleMaster=False” on a product where there is no master anymore:
    polarisations were empty:
@@ -253,7 +254,12 @@ public class CoherenceOp extends Operator {

}

final String[] polarisationsInBandNames = OperatorUtils.getPolarisations(sourceProduct);
-            polarisations = InterferogramOp.getPolsSharedByMstSlv(sourceProduct, polarisationsInBandNames);
+            if (singleMaster){
+              polarisations = InterferogramOp.getPolsSharedByMstSlv(sourceProduct, polarisationsInBandNames);
+            }
+            else{
+              polarisations = polarisationsInBandNames;
+            }

sourceImageWidth = sourceProduct.getSceneRasterWidth();
             sourceImageHeight = sourceProduct.getSceneRasterHeight();

and as private void constructTargetMetadata() { compares two consecutives keys, keys must be sorted by polarisation first:

@@ -292,13 +298,13 @@ public class CoherenceOp extends Operator {

final Map<String, CplxContainer> map) throws Exception {

for (String swath : subswaths) {
-            final String subswath = swath.isEmpty() ? "" : '_' + swath.toUpperCase();
+            final String subswath = swath.isEmpty() ? "" : swath.toUpperCase()+'_';

for (String polarisation : polarisations) {
-                final String pol = polarisation.isEmpty() ? "" : '_' + polarisation.toUpperCase();
+                final String pol = polarisation.isEmpty() ? "" : polarisation.toUpperCase()+'_';

// map key: ORBIT NUMBER
-                String mapKey = root.getAttributeInt(AbstractMetadata.ABS_ORBIT) + subswath + pol;
+                String mapKey = pol + subswath + root.getAttributeInt(AbstractMetadata.ABS_ORBIT);

// metadata: construct classes and define bands
                 final String date = OperatorUtils.getAcquisitionDate(root);

It works for me.

Should I do a pull-request ?

1 Like

maybe @jun_lu can comment here

Hello everyone,

Is there any update on this topic ?

Thanks a lot for your great job on all the other topics !

Vincent

Thanks, I’ll add a test for the polarizations.

Usually the co-pol is used because the coherence is stronger. I’m curious what other information is gained from also having the cross-pol coherence?

The information-content is different so sometimes it is useful to include it in analysis.

A JIRA ticket ([SITBX-906] - JIRA) has been created to track the issue. We will look into the issue, thank you