SOS for a GUI failure in ubuntu18.04

Dear all,

I installed snap8.0 in Ubuntu18.04 a while ago, and it worked fine. Recently I tried to reuse the software, and I got some error info as below:

Could you please help solve this issue?

All the best,
Wanpeng

(base) wafeng@server:~$ snap
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
java: …/…/src/xcb_io.c:259: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost’ failed.
/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/bin/…/platform/lib/nbexec: line 470: 54935 Aborted (core dumped) “/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/jre/bin/java” -Djdk.home="/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/jre" -classpath “/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/boot.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/org-openide-util-lookup.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/org-openide-util-ui.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/boot_ja.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/boot_pt_BR.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/boot_ru.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/boot_zh_CN.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ja.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_pt_BR.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ru.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ja.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_ja.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_pt_BR.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_ru.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_zh_CN.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_pt_BR.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ru.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-ui_ja.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-ui_pt_BR.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-ui_ru.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-ui_zh_CN.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/jre/lib/dt.jar:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/jre/lib/tools.jar” -Dnetbeans.dirs="/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/etc:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/ide:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/bin:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/snap:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/s1tbx:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/s2tbx:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/s3tbx:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/rstb:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/smos:/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/probavbox:" -Dnetbeans.home="/home/wafeng/soft/insar/snap/snap8/platform" ‘-XX:+AggressiveOpts’ ‘-Xverify:none’ ‘-Xms256M’ ‘-Xmx176G’ ‘-Dnetbeans.mainclass=org.esa.snap.main.Main’ ‘-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true’ ‘-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true’ ‘-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false’ -DaddExports:java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED -DaddExports:java.base/jdk.internal.jrtfs=ALL-UNNAMED -DaddExports:java.desktop/java.awt.peer=ALL-UNNAMED -DaddExports:java.desktop/com.sun.beans.editors=ALL-UNNAMED -DaddExports:java.desktop/sun.awt.im=ALL-UNNAMED -DaddExports:java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk=ALL-UNNAMED -DaddExports:java.management/sun.management=ALL-UNNAMED -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath="/home/wafeng/.snap/system/var/log/heapdump.hprof" org.netbeans.Main --cachedir “/home/wafeng/.snap/system/var/cache” --userdir “/home/wafeng/.snap/system” “–branding” “snap” “–locale” “en_GB” 0<&0

This is a bug that was present in X11 for years, but on or about 2018 a change in libxcb made a rare error more common: Gnome GTK Issue 2767. There was a patch to the responsible library (livxbc). I’m not sure if the patch fixed the problem or just reverted back to a rare occurence rate. Is the error reproducible? Have you installed the updates for Ubuntu 18.04?

Thanks so much for the prompt reponse. I am giving a test…

I acturally have almost two identical server for InSAR processing. They both had similar issues with snap. SNAP can start, but last only few minutes and then quit unconsiously. What I mainly did on the servers is to install CUDA systems and drivers for the video cards.

I have updated the libxcb libs, but it seemed not working for me. :frowning:

If there is anyone else having similar experiences, please give me a hand. The servers will be managed to use in the coming class. It is very frastrating that the software doesn’t show up long enough.

You should ask for help in Ubuntu forums. Ubuntu has many more users than SNAP. The bug reports for libxcb had some small test programs. You will get better help if you can provide a minimal example that reliably triggers the problem.

If you have only done selective updates you may have a unique configuration. Before reporting bugs it is best to fully update your system to maximize the number of other users with the same software configuration.

Thank you so much for the adivce. This is completely true to look for helps from ubuntu system.

I have tried to dig something more today to see what I can get. I guess that that may be a java-related issue as only java-based gui was killed automatically.

If I finally figure it out, I will post them back here.

Thanks again.

The Java SNAP GUI is quite sophisticated, so often reveals bugs in graphics libraries that don’t affect less demanding applications. Running one of the small tests for the libxcb bug should tell you if the problem can be triggered without using Java.

Alacritty issue 5585 gives a recent example where a libxcb bug is present using X11 but not when using Wayland. In Ubuntu 18.04 you should be able to choose Wayland when you log in, but for Nvidea you need very recent drivers that may not be available on older hardware.
You could test with the nouveau driver, which does support Wayland.

I am in the exactly same situation as stated in issue 5585. :frowning: No much time in the weekdays for the test. I did re-install the nvidia drivers to fit for the cuda before the error came out. This may be solved by uninstalling the drivers.

Cheers,
Wanpeng