Stripmap SLC error during Thermal Noise Removal

Hi everyone!
I’m running into the following error when I want to perform Thermal Noise Removal on a Stripmap SLC scene. I’m not that familiar with Stripmap but expected that the standard SLCtoGRD workflow would work. Guess it’s a bug? I’m using SNAP 8 with the latest updates btw.

org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.esa.s1tbx.calibration.gpf.Sentinel1RemoveThermalNoiseOp.computeTile(Sentinel1RemoveThermalNoiseOp.java:623)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:82)
	at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(Unknown Source)
Caused: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorExecutor$GPFImagingListener.errorOccurred(OperatorExecutor.java:381)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.sendExceptionToListener(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(Unknown Source)
	at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(Unknown Source)
	at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(Unknown Source)
	at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:449)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:435)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:75)
	at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(Unknown Source)
	at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.RequestJob.compute(Unknown Source)
[catch] at com.sun.media.jai.util.WorkerThread.run(Unknown Source)

Hello @mengdahl @jun_lu,

this problem still exists in the newest version and I assume that TN removal for SM SLC data should be possible as it is also mentioned here (page 18).

It would be great if a ticket could be created so that this will eventually get fixed.

Best regards

1 Like

As I mentioned in another thread thermal noise removal should only work for scalar bands - they way it’s now implemented for SLCs is cheating. We should probably change it so that the i and q are not modified.

@mengdahl the same error occurs when first calibrating and detecting the image.

Can you share the product that is giving the error?

Sure: S1A_S6_SLC__1SDV_20220407T195121_20220407T195139_042672_051761_5F38

@jun_lu could you check what the issue might be?

Could you provide more details regarding the processing steps so that we can reproduce the error? So far we are not able to reproduce the problem. Thank you

Hi @jun_lu, thanks for looking into this. I haven’t done much. Just Calibration of the original product and then ThermalNoiseRemoval.
I am using S1TBX 8.0.6 on Windows 10.

A JIRA ticket ([SITBX-911] - JIRA) has been created to track the issue. We will look into it. Thank you for reporting the problem

2 Likes

The problem has been fixed and the fix should be in the next snap release. Thank you for reporting the issue.

2 Likes