Stripmap SLC error during Thermal Noise Removal

Hi everyone!
I’m running into the following error when I want to perform Thermal Noise Removal on a Stripmap SLC scene. I’m not that familiar with Stripmap but expected that the standard SLCtoGRD workflow would work. Guess it’s a bug? I’m using SNAP 8 with the latest updates btw.

org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.esa.s1tbx.calibration.gpf.Sentinel1RemoveThermalNoiseOp.computeTile(Sentinel1RemoveThermalNoiseOp.java:623)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:82)
	at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(Unknown Source)
Caused: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorExecutor$GPFImagingListener.errorOccurred(OperatorExecutor.java:381)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.sendExceptionToListener(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(Unknown Source)
	at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(Unknown Source)
	at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(Unknown Source)
	at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:449)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:435)
	at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:75)
	at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(Unknown Source)
	at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(Unknown Source)
	at com.sun.media.jai.util.RequestJob.compute(Unknown Source)
[catch] at com.sun.media.jai.util.WorkerThread.run(Unknown Source)

Hello @mengdahl @jun_lu,

this problem still exists in the newest version and I assume that TN removal for SM SLC data should be possible as it is also mentioned here (page 18).

It would be great if a ticket could be created so that this will eventually get fixed.

Best regards

2 Likes

As I mentioned in another thread thermal noise removal should only work for scalar bands - they way it’s now implemented for SLCs is cheating. We should probably change it so that the i and q are not modified.

@mengdahl the same error occurs when first calibrating and detecting the image.

1 Like

Can you share the product that is giving the error?

1 Like

Sure: S1A_S6_SLC__1SDV_20220407T195121_20220407T195139_042672_051761_5F38

1 Like

@jun_lu could you check what the issue might be?

1 Like

Could you provide more details regarding the processing steps so that we can reproduce the error? So far we are not able to reproduce the problem. Thank you

1 Like

Hi @jun_lu, thanks for looking into this. I haven’t done much. Just Calibration of the original product and then ThermalNoiseRemoval.
I am using S1TBX 8.0.6 on Windows 10.

1 Like

A JIRA ticket ([SITBX-911] - JIRA) has been created to track the issue. We will look into it. Thank you for reporting the problem

3 Likes

The problem has been fixed and the fix should be in the next snap release. Thank you for reporting the issue.

3 Likes