Subset from Sentinel 3 SST data

Hello,

I use SST L2 (SLSTR) non time critical data . I there any way in SNAP that i can make subset of a specific area so i can have multiple subsets of the exact same area ? I want to make time series and timelapse and if i have even small differences in the “capture” of the subset i have problems with my time series and ofcourse with the timelapse.

Thank you for your time and effort

Optical sensor coverage of a given region on the surface often has very different views, so if you want to compile data for a time series you need to use binning followed by mapping. The binning step is necessary when combing data from a pass edge (one L2 pixel has a large ground footprint) with data from near the centerline (smaller footprint). If you don’r do that, lower quality (due to longer atmospheric path lengths) pass edge pixels are over-represented in the time-series.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, i really appreciate it ! Still now i have to find a solution. I don’t have two or even ten images. There are more than thousand. I have to find a way to take a subset in each one and then do the procedure that you talk about, or i am wrong?

You should read IOCCG Report 4.

SNAP Help describes ESA’s implementation of the NASA binning operator. NASA has recently added “area weighting”.

In the past, I have used NASA OCSSW software (l2bin + l3bin + l3mapgen). You can find Sentinel 3 binned and mapped products at NASA Ocean Data Direct Access. These are global, so lower resolution than needed for regional studies (the metadata gives the processing commands from which you can build a workflow). SST data have moved from the OB.DAAC to to the JPL PO.DACC. I don’t see Sentinel 3 SLSTR data at PO.DAAC.

1 Like

Thank you! The informations that you gave me are very helpful.