The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code - exception when processing multiple files using snappy

I use snappy Python module to process Sentinel-1 data. My code is at https://github.com/kedziorm/mySNAPscripts/blob/master/myScripts.py

When I process only one file (run ipython, paste mentioned Python script, call appropriate functions) I have no problems. However if I try to process multiple files, I finally get an exception.
I’ve thought that some objects might not be removed from the memory, so I set them to None:

I’ve also set ulimit -c unlimited as suggested in exception:

I still receive the same error message as previously (so I’m pasting previous error message).
How can I fix that?

hs_err_pid9947.log (182,3 KB)

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x000000000055fcfb, pid=9947, tid=140521561863936
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_60-b27) (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.60-b23 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [python+0x15fcfb]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# ~/hs_err_pid9947.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

Hi,

I had this error when trying to open SNAP.

Remove the org-esa-snap-snap-worldwind.jar from the snap folder and back up it in an other folder on your computer.

Should work.

I’ve no idea where this error might come from. But it’s not the world-wind module.
Looking at the error-log I would think it is somewhere in the native python code.
In the screenshot ipython 2.4.1-1 is mentioned. Maybe the problem is there. I don’t want to say that SNAP/snappy might not be guilty but I can’t see it.

Could you suggest any idea of trying to find a source of the issues?

Should I start a “raw” Python (just typing python and execute all the code within it?) instead of using ipython?
Should I ask about ‘ipython’ memory issues on http://stackoverflow.com (I’m not sure if it is causing this issue, so I would like to ensure).

Thanks Sadri,

I have the same problem as reported here when processing a series of S2 data. At each product this bit seemed to cause problems:

GPF.getDefaultInstance().getOperatorSpiRegistry().loadOperatorSpis()

HashMap = jpy.get_type('java.util.HashMap')
    BandDescriptor = jpy.get_type('org.esa.snap.core.gpf.common.BandMathsOp$BandDescriptor')

parameters = HashMap()
    parameters.put('targetResolution', samp_band)
    parameters.put('upsampling', 'Bilinear')
    parameters.put('downsampling', 'Mean')
    parameters.put('flagDownsampling', 'FlagMedianAnd')
    parameters.put('resampleOnPyramidLevels', True)

product = GPF.createProduct('Resample', parameters, self.source_product)
    source_angle = product.getBand(band_angle)

I have tried different tricks as the one posted here (garbage collector, increase virtual memory…). I have also monitored the memory consumption and found not to increase.
I have also moved the file “org-esa-snap-snap-worldwind.jar” as you suggested and the execution did not work yet. My assumption is that the JVM does not release memory correctly but I cannot see the reason why. I try to “dispose” and clear memory but does seem not to work

Thanks

Javier Gorrono

Following these comments, I have found a “dirty” workaround to the problem.

The trick to avoid this JVM crash has been solved in my case by externally managing the program with a bash command.
#! /bin/bash
for initprod in seq 0 64;
do
python run.py $initprod $((++initprod))
done

By doing so, it seems that I can run as many products as I want since the JVM is initialised and cleared at every iteration.
It makes the programme structure a bit more tedious but it is a current limitation of jpy library since, it cannot “shutdown the Java VM from Python and then restart it”.

Cheers

Javier Gorrono

2 Likes

From my experience this crash is caused by calling jpy.get_type multiple times. Only call it once at the beginning and your crash should be solved. See this thread.

2 Likes