Tomogram generation with ALOS 1 PALSAR dataset

Hello everybody, I’m a student waorking on his master thesis. I’m trying to apply the Pol-TomoSAR to ships in order to reconstruct their shape. I recently downloaded 4 quadpol images of the Trieste port, I managed to extract the data and I took the subset needed to perform a tomographic analysis, but when I click on Run in the polarimetric tomoraphy window, iI get no output. Anyone had this kind of problem? If so, how did you solve it?

1 Like

I have tested the TomoSAR approach here but did not have the required kz file was missing so I could not proceed.

When I was attending the PolInSAR course in 2019, I was told that ALOS data does not have the suitable baseline configuration for TomoSAR, beacause you actually need several images of the same day from suitable angles. Also, the kz file required in the processing has to be generated manually (if not delivered by the data provider, for example of areal campaigns). You can try to create it yourself with GITASAR: SAR image processing for beginners

I hope, I could help a bit by sharing my experience. Please let me know if you make any progress.

thank you very much for the reply, I’ll let you know if I make any progress.

Perhaps you can find a ship that is on a dry dock and therefore can be assumed to be stationary over successive acquisitions?

We wanted to exploit the coronavirus pandemic to make this type of assumption but quadpol observations are needed and ALOS images are available until 2011. So we discarded this idea, but I would be satisfied if i can get this working.