Can't open Sentinel 2A L1C data

Hi,

I’m trying to open Sentinel 2 data in SNAP since a week now and everytime it fails. I tried to reinstall SNAP, tried to download the dataset again, but the dataset seems to be oke. It doesn’t work.

When I unzip the file and select the .xml file via /file–>import–>optical sensors–>Sentinel 2–>1C/ I get the following error:
Unable to get metadata from JP2 images associated to product.

And when I try to open the ZIP file via /file–>open product–> zip file/, I get the following error: No product readers found.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong or what is going wrong…

The name of the file is: S2A_OPER_MTD_SAFL1C_PDMC_20160816T203606_R135_V20160815T074942_20160815T074941.xml

If anyone is able to help, I really would appreciate this, because it takes so much time and I’m not getting any progress…

Btw, I’m using a windows computer (64-bit)

2 Likes

Hi,

Currently, the zip products of Sentinel-2 are not supported in SNAP, but you should be able to open it when the full product is decompressed.
The error seems to occur when the openjpeg executables are used to extract some information from the JP2 images. Please, could you check that:

• the IMG_DATA folder (in S2A_OPER_MTD_SAFL1C_PDMC_20160816T203606_R135_V20160815T074942_20160815T074941.SAFE/GRANULE/[specificGranuleName]/IMG_DATA) contains all the bands of Sentinel-2 product?

• the folder /.snap ( which is created during the installation in your user folder) contains the executables of openjpeg (opj_compress, opj_decompress, opj_dump) in .snap\auxdata\openjpeg\4.0.0\openjpeg-2.1.0-win64\bin

Hi,

I did not find on SciHub the S2 product mentioned in your post, maybe it has been removed because corrupted. Therefore I guess that the error experienced by you is due to the S2 data and not to the SNAP reader.
Could you please try to download another S2 product over your area of interest and let us know if you will be able to open it using SNAP?

Thank you,
Fabrizio

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response! I fixed it somehow. It seems like unpacking the zip file went wrong with the build-in windows function. So I tried Winzip, didn’t work either. Finally, I tried to unzip it with 7zip. It opens now!

After posting this problem, I saw that one other user had the same problem and he solved it in the same way. So maybe you could mention somewhere that Windows users should try to unpack their datafile with 7zip if the programme fails to open the .xml file.

Thanks anyway!

@obarrilero @obarrilero

1 Like

Sorry for bumping an old thread with a marked solution but I am a new Snap user (and new to this forum for that matter) and installed version 5.0 then updated. I opened an old S2A OPER file and encountered the same issue. File doanloaded from USGS’ earthexplorer.

Tried the proposed solution with both 7zip and Winrar to no avail.

My workarround was to open the file in ArcGIS and compute raster statistics. Then reopened it in Snap and worked fine.
If that could help somehow for future release.

2 Likes

Hello Hasina,

Can you provide the Orbit/Tile that you are having issues with? I note you tried from EarthExplorer; have you tried the same product from the Copernicus Open Access Hub (https://scihub.copernicus.eu/).

Cheers

Jan

S2 MPC Operations Manager

This is the tile:
S2A_OPER_MTD_SAFL1C_PDMC_20161014T200020_R120_V20161003T070232_20161003T070230

I want to do some change detection in one year so I needed a tile for 2017 and 2016. The 2017 could be opened without any issue because of ( I believe ) the new LIC_T format…
But I couldn’t open any S2A_OPER file on Snap without calculating stats first on ArcGIS.

I tried to find that same tile on Copernicus Open Access Hub but the only data I found was the 4 / 5 Gb ones for very large zones for 2016. This is why preferred USGS because they have smaller tiles.

Also, I can’t tell (since I opened the file elsewhere first) if the metadata is intact, I doubt these 99999 values are correct . I cannot compare with the new format because apparently the metadata is different …

Hello,
Thanks, but this only gives me Datastrip start time and th Relative Orbit. I can zero in on the problem more easily if I had the Absolute Orbit and Tile Number(s) of your AOI. You can find this if you go If you go down to the "Granules"level in your metadata.

Cheers

Jan

Hello Hasina.

You can use this tool to download only the tile(s) of interest for products prior the new single-tile format. Then, you can open it (them) in SNAP as you’d do for a regular product.
If you need guidance using the tool, please send me an email.

Cheers,
Cosmin.

1 Like

Thank you all for responsivity! The support from this community is exceptionnal I must say!

Jan,
here it is

Cosmin, thank you. I will consider it in the future. Right now I think this file will be fine (I am waiting to process it until L2A but if I can manage to do that, I will keep this file) I don’t have Sen2cor installed and going to do so later today.

1 Like

@Hasina,

Thanks. I’ll investigate and get back to you.

Happy Monday :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jan

Hello,
The single Tile is available via the Copernicus Open Access Hub

I can open it in the normal way (i.e. by using the S2B_OPER_MTD_SAFL1C_PDMC_20171002T085526_R019_V20170926T054719_20170926T054719.xml) in the SNAP 6.0 beta:

Cheers

Jan

Thank you very much Jan!

I swear I did not find it when I searched for the tile. To be honest, although very similar, I think the USGS system is a bit more (but just a little) straightforward to users as I judge from what I read on the forums… however, I think since they declare they reprocess them to smaller tiles may cause some issues…

I will download the tile from Copernicus and see if Snap 5 can open it. I will report here if it works.

Since I do a lot of operationnal work, I can not dedicate a lot of time in troubleshooting errors and such so I did not opt for Snap 6. So I want to ask, how reliable is it right now? My planned processing on SNAP for Sen2 Data are only retrieving L2 through sen2cor and export for a more refined classification through another software.

Hi Hasina,
No worries. When you say the USGS system is alittle more straightforward, are you using the Level-1C Tiling Grid (https://sentinel.esa.int/documents/247904/1955685/S2A_OPER_GIP_TILPAR_MPC__20151209T095117_V20150622T000000_21000101T000000_B00.kml/ec05e22c-a2bc-4a13-9e84-02d5257b09a8) to determine your AOI?

In my day to day activities, I do a lot of operational work, too. As far as SNAP 6.0 goes, it’s fine for what I want to do - which is supoport the ongoing data quality from the S2 mission. I haven’t expored all the bells and whistles, so I cannot comment on the resampling or such stuff. My philosophy is if you’re happy with what you have, there’s no sense in having more :smiley:

Any issues with SNAP 6.0 are logged here http://forum.step.esa.int/c/snap-6-beta-issues

Cheers

Jan

Hello Jan,

Thank you for sending this , I only discover this now. Actually I only use my mouse to define a polygon corresponding to my ROI, and define time periods, data types, etc, hit the search button, and I’m done. But defining additional criteria on USGS is easier imo and viewing research results is easier as well

I strongly agree with your philosophy, I value reliability over new versions.

Hasina

By the way I have found the solution to this problem.

On some ArcGIS forums, some user reported that the very file path (including the long folder name) of the *.SAFE product prevented ArcGIS from reading the metadata and opening Sentinel 2 images. I thought if that could also be the case for my SNAP. So I moved the SAFE product to a folder with only one parent directory, and could open it. (So I didn’t have to redownload my tile from Copernicus @Jan)

If that could help other users.
Regards,
Hasina

1 Like