Coregistraion of Coherence and Sentinel-2 data

Hi,
I am wondering if there is a way to automatically coregister coherence data (from SE-1 SLC product) and Sentinel-2 L2A product.

I have performed the following test:

1. Coherence calculation (with orbit files)
  2. Ellipsoidic Correction (geolocation grid) to reproject the coherence in geographic coordinates (WGS84);
  3. reprojection of the Sentinel-2 data from its cartographic reference system (UTM) to the geographic reference system.

However, I am not sure this is the correct way to achieve a good registration of the two data because I am rather sure (by comparing coherence and Sentinel 2 data on a bare rocks areas) that there might be a shift of 6-10 pixels.

Do you have some suggestions?

I have already checked the following source https://forum.step.esa.int/t/fusion-of-s-1a-and-s-2a-data/7742. From that source, it seems that everything should work fine by creating a stack and doing terrain correction of the data.

Thank you very much!

If you want to correct topographic distortions in the SAR image you need Range Doppler Terrain Correction instead of the Ellipsoid correction. And you can select the UTM coordinate system as output projection as well, so you don’t have to reproject the Sentinel-2 data (often brings decreased image quality because of resampling).

Have you seen this? Synergetic use of S1 (SAR) and S2 (optical) data and use of analysis tools

2 Likes

Dear ABraun,
thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I saw the document but it is referred to GRD products and not to SCL products.
I performed a new test and with Range Doppler Terrain correction it seems better.