Discuss on the applications of offset tracking technology

Hi guys, After reading the relevant topics about offset tracking in this forum, I’m still wondering the application fields of offset tracking technology. I think there must be any other more widly applications of this technology.

Can the offset tracking only been applied to monitor glacier movement velocity? Does any other successful application fields?

Hope anyone who have done some great work by using offset tracking or know other application fields of offset tracking can post your valuable idea in this topic.
Best wishes! :grinning:

Edit: I misunderstood the question and thought it was on glaciers. Anyhow - if anyone searches for glaciers, here are some hints:
There have been some quite impressive demonstrations of the Offset Tracking tool for glacier movement in this forum. Just use the search function:
And the tutorial itself also deals with glacier movement.

Hi,

You question is “can i apply offset tracking to other applications than glacier velocity map determination?”.

I have no direct answer since I actually use a lot correlation techniques, including offset tracking, to actually determine ice-shelves velocities.

However, some people tried to estimate what are the limits of the detectable movements using S1 IW data. From this article : Feasibility of Along-Track Displacement Measurement From Sentinel-1 Interferometric Wide-Swath Mode, the authors claims that movements of minimum 50-60 cm may be detected using correlation techniques.

Hope it answers your question.

sorry, I completely missed that.

I just fell on a very good application of offset tracking on ground deformation. It doesn’t use S1 data though
Deformation Time-Series Generation in Areas Characterized by Large Displacement Dynamics: The SAR Amplitude Pixel-Offset SBAS Technique

I have recently tried to use this method to monitor surface deformation at mine sites, but the results are not too good.