ESA Copernicus data access - Long Term Archive and its drawbacks

@mengdahl Excellent news ! Will it be possible to use GPT to download images with SNAP8 ?

Hi

Seems that the LTA policy affect also several tools, among them DIAS platforms. For me, as am using Sentinel 2 data for now, a workaround solution is the use of EarthExplorer of USGS which has all S2 images from 2015 onwards (at least for my region where i work now).

Is quite annoying that official, public paid tools are not working as expected ā€¦

Hope that this will change soon.

D.

1 Like

I am also working with S1 time-series and try to somehow automate making ā€œfull useā€ of my user Quota by writing python scripts.
The links provided in this post seem to be very useful and I will check it out soon.
However I am just starting with using python so I face some issues here and there.

I would like to discuss these in this forum, that I really like so far for getting really quick and on point replies and finding a lot of resources browsing through old posts.
Is it therefore possible to open a sub forum e.g. on data retrieval for that?
It seems that this Info is relatively spread, but it would be thematically fitting here, because obviously you need data for working with SNAP or the modules from the Sentinel-toolboxes and manual downloading is not an option for many up to date scientfic tasks like time series extraction or environmental parameter retrieval. And it is like dpoursanidis and others pointed out that ESA should be interested in enabling users for access to all the sentinel data anytime.

Cheers and thanks for the good work everybody,

K.

You can open a new topic in the #development section, although some already exist, e.g. Downloading data for snap using sentinelsat API - LTA error

In this forum we surely have little impact on the data dissemination strategies of ESA, but of course its a good platform for exchange how others deal with the drawbacks of the LTA.

2 Likes

In addition to what @ABraun says, ESA Copernicus support is quite easy to join (eosupport@copernicus.esa.int). Donā€™t hesitate to give a feedback, itā€™s part of their job.

Cheers,

Quentin

3 Likes

Hello,

I am trying to download ~1200 images from Sentinel-1A from ESA open access hub, and put all the images in the cart. But when I try to download the cart, the website gives an error message. The image is attached below. I tried Google Chrome, Firefox, and Explorer but I get similar errors. Can you please tell me how to batch download?

Thank you!

Thank you! How do we use it? I downloaded the asf_search using cmd, but I donā€™t understand the code. Can you help me?

Please have a look at the official documentation: Basics - ASF SAR Data Search Manual
No need to code anything yourself, you just have to adjust the search variables.

I read the page multiple times, but still donā€™t understand how to use the code. I edited the sample script provided in the overview as follows:

import asf_search as asf

results = asf.granule_search([ā€˜ALPSRS279162400ā€™, ā€˜ALPSRS279162200ā€™])
print(results)

wkt = ā€˜POLYGON((-113.94 47.96, -113.94 44.34, -110.53 44.34, -110.53 47.96))ā€™
results = asf.geo_search(platform=[asf.PLATFORM.SENTINEL1], intersectsWith=wkt, maxResults=2000)
print(results)

But I think the this is intended for ALOS PALSAR. How should I change it to Sentinel-1A? What should I do now? and how should I run the Python script? I know very little of Python.

I havenā€™t used it myself, but you have to change the parameters as you need them and then run the script.
You could start with the sample script and then gradually change it according to your needs.
Working with 1200 products you will probably need some scripting sooner or later.

Thank you! Yes, I usually work in MATLAB, not Python. I need to take a course.

Hello ABraun, i tried to apply this website to download offline sentinel 2 L1C but i only find Sentinel 1.

Is Sentinel 2 not included in this website, Thank you so much .

Mona

Yes, ASF only offers Sentinel-1.
All data can be found in the official ESA portal: https://scihub.copernicus.eu/dhus/

If someone is working with the Land Surface Temperature data from Sentinel 3A SLSTR, it can be helpful to use this repository. Code can handle offline files. Each run code generates a txt file and saves offline files to it. Rerun your code a couple of times (1-2 hours later!) until the text file is empty. A couple of changes with a correct request to open-access hub. It can be used for downloading other Sentinel products.
(github - OnurSahin20//Hybrid_LST)