Exporting sentinel 1 band to Geotiff

@ABraun
Hi thank you for the enlightenment. I have followed all mentioned steps till the terrain correction and the final products are as:
Bands: Sigma0_VH, Beta0_VH, Sigma0_VV, Beta0_VV and Elevation
Is it correct?
Now when I am exporting it into GeoTif and trying to open it in ArcGIS it is completely black image with 5 bands. All I am trying to do is land cover classification. If the raster resolution comes 10m then I am intending to use clouad mask boundary to get the pixel information in order to use it in Sentinel-2 imageries. Do you think it is the correct approach ??? I would appreciate if you could explain the use of sigma and beta polarisation outputs?

if you want to export only one raster you can use Band Select

There choose GeoTiff as an output and only one band in the “Processing Parameters Tab”

About Sigma0 and Beta0. These are different degrees of calibration. Please consider reading some basics on SAR images.

Edit: Such as explained here:

1 Like

@ABraun
Thank you again :slight_smile: And yes I think I have to go through the basics of SAR but since, I have to analyse this as per the scheduled project timeline thats why I am trying to push hard just to get the output asap. I am aware of the fact that without getting into it, it wont be easy for me. Thanks a lot for your help so far. One last confusion I have read somewhere about the RGB combinations which are as Red-VV, Green-VH and Blue-VH/VV and another one Red-HH, Green-VV and Blue-HV. Could you suggest which one is correct one??

correct for what? :slight_smile:
There are endless band combinations, each one highlighting certain properties. They depend on the feature of and on the wavelength of the sensor. So there is no right or wrong at all.
Just as in optical data: For example, 3,2,1 (blue, green, red) is related to human vision but 4,3,2 (false colour infrared, blue, green) highlights vegetation in a red tone.

I understand that there is often time pressure in projects and I don’t want to take your interst in SAR data but without some basics you won’t get far because you waste your valuable time with questions that make no sense.

@ABraun
Yes I agree with you. I am aware of the different combinations of the bands as per the requirement, I was curious to know the corresponding polarization with respect to the spectral ranges (RGB) if it can be compared. I really appreciate for for your help so far. I am assuming that you are using updated version of SNAP wherein you get the Band Select option, the version I have doesn’t showing that option.

You can hit Help > Check For Updates to get the latest version of SNAP.

As SAR backscatter is based on physical parameters of surfaces (roughess, moisture, shape, size, orientation) SAR RGBs and optical RGBs cannot be compared directly. They rather provide information complementary to each other.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Radiometric Terrain Flattening - Hot solve low DEM resolution?

Dear sir

I have classified the S1A data using RF classification and export in geotiff . When i open this image in Arcgis it does not show the classess it give only range please help me.

first, you don’t need to export to GeoTiff, simply open the img files in the data folder in ArcMap.

To have the classes displayed in ArcMap, change the styling from “stretched” to “discrete color” in the raster properties.

Dear Sir

When i tried to open the exported image in Arcgis than i got an error i.e. failed to create raster layer.

what error do you receive?

" Failed to create raster"

you selected the *.img file?

No, its TIFF file.

I would like to underline that you don’t need to write a Tiff but stick to the Beam DIMAP format and open the img file in ArcMap.

Hello,

I have a question related to this topic. I have a Sentinel-1 GRD product that I pre-processed in SNAP and it contains a few different bands that I would like to open in Erdas Imagine. I am able to open the bands in ArcGIS as .img files without any problem. Yet when I try and open the bands as .img files in Erdas Imagine I receive an error message saying ‘the raster file has no layers’. After pre-processing in SNAP, are there any additional steps I should have taken in order to prepare my bands to be opened in Erdas Imagine?

Many thanks,

Sarah

I can confirm that, strangely, the BEAM DIMAP format is not well compatible with ERDAS Imagine.
My work-around was exporting it separately into GeoTiff files but I also would be interested in a more straightforward solution.

Thank you for the clarification, that’s very helpful.

hope you find the way to open SAR data from MATLAB. i also need help on this issues. kindly suggest me the solution how to do open and processing on matlab?

Have you seen this? export from SNAP in geotif and open with best projection in MATLAB

Maybe also here: https://eo-college.org/resource/focusing-matlab/