Intensity and Coherence Correlation

Thank you Iveci,
I tried with numerous InSAR pairs. The best result is obtained from theses days:

I still have a noise on the phase image. There is a way to improve the result? Or I have to hide (mask) it?

nk you

Tha

Hello,

I am not sure if you are following the tutorial for interferometry with TOPSAR, I think you can doGoldstein phase filtering and this will work.
But I am aslo novice. Can you tell me about your experience. Have you been able to assess your co-registration? which parameter did you used?

Hello Sir,
Yes, I followed the tutorial. First, I i did a co-registration with the default parameter. Then, I applied a range/azimuth filtering.
Then, I generated the interferogram / coherence. Finally, I applied the Goldstein phase filtering.

The study site is a bit complex (forest).
Please see my last discussion (a bit higher)

Thank you

Hello,
Any insights on the results mentioned aboved???

Kind Regards.

Hello,
there is a coherence threshold commonly used in order to mask the InSAR product?

No, that is very application-dependent. In land-cover classification for example low coherence is ā€œsignalā€ so one should not mask it out, while in applications where phase-unwrapping is needed, masking low coherence values out makes sense.

How about Gamma0? If I use SAR for forest monitoring, I should use Gamma0 or Sigma0?

If you have strong radiometric distortions from topographic features, you can also correct for Terrain Flattened Gamma0 in SNAP.

Have a look here:

2 Likes

Hi, DanielaPL!

I came across this post to learn about how to work with intensity and intensity correlation using SNAP with Sentinel-1 SLC products.

With regards to these kind of analyses, I am quite novice. Been doing for almost a year InSAR-based analysis specifically deformation estimation.

I just want to ask if you have a good tutorial material(s) on how to do these intensity and intensity correlation analyses?

I wonder how do I get intensity in the first place? Iā€™ve been reading and following through this thread but I couldnā€™t figure out exactly an appropriate processing chain to do it.

I hope you can share what you have learned, your best practices.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Hi, @lveci!

I came across this thread to know the best practices for intensity (amplitude-based) analysis. I am interested about this kind of analysis for landslide mapping.

I am working with Sentinel-1 SLC data through SNAP.

I just want to know if the processing chain I came up with (after following some discussions here and there) is correct or needs modification. I wanted to get the intensity ratio (I_ratio) which is 10.log 10 [(E{I_pre-event}/E{I_post-event})]. The processing chain is like this.

Through the GraphBuilder tool:

Readā€“>TOPSAR-Splitā€“>Apply-Orbit-Fileā€“>Calibrationā€“>TOPSAR-Deburstā€“>Speckle-Filterā€“>Multilookā€“>Write (Save)

Then I applied this processing chain to my 2 S1 products through the Batch Processing tool.

The returned products contained the Sigma0 band whose value ranges from almost zero (0.001) to more than 10.

I then co-registered the two Sigma0 bands using a DEM-Assisted Coregistration (the Sigma0 bands were affixed by suffixes _mst and _slv1 whose values still ranges from almost zero to more than 10), and finally applied Terrain Correction. For the terrain corrected products, I noticed that the upper range of the Sigma0 bands went below 10. I just wander if this is a normal thing. But still I proceeded. By this I mean viewing the Sigma0 bands in decibel scaling. The range now in dB is between -25 and +10. And for my last step, I applied Band Maths to get the ratio of the 2 Sigma0 bands expressed in dB.

I applied subset just to focus on my target AOI. Unfortunately, I didnā€™t get a good result. But the reason is I just tested the flowchart I have built out of the discussions here and there on intensity analysis.

I hope you can comment about it if I did it correctly or if something is wrong with my processing flow.

Thank you in advance for you time.

Hi, @ABraun!

Just a quick question. I did amplitude analysis before (few months ago) for some sites presented in the paper of Mondini et al. 2019 (Sentinel-1 SAR Amplitude Imagery for Rapid Landslide Detection). One site I was able to reproduce the result was the Villa Santa Lucia landslide in Chile. Please see screenshot.

I wanted to apply the analysis method for a specific test site today that is why I recalled the process of how I did it for Chile few months ago. After loading the dataset Iā€™ve used for Chile and the graph, I was surprised that it returned an error.

Do you know what is the cause of this error and how can I resolve it? I am sure I was successful with the amplitude analysis few months ago while exploring it. I had reproduced also the results for the Maoxian landslide and one in Iceland also from the same paper.

Thank you.

Maybe you used Back Geocoding for the coregistration?

Iā€™ve checked all the Preprocess_Graphs Iā€™ve created using the GraphBuilder tool for the 3 sites Iā€™ve mentioned here and I used the DEM-Assisted-Coregistration. Iā€™ve tried to replace it with the Cross-Correlation coregistration, unfortunately it does not give me a stack.

I am aware that after the error it suggested to use back-geocoding instead. I did it but I got another error.

Error: [NodeId: Back-Geocoding] Input should be a single look complex SLC product.

I find it weird because I exactly followed the processing steps from the paper of Mondini et al. 2019.

In the name of your pre-processed images, there is NR - what does it mean?

ThermalNoiseRemoval. NR was automatically added as a suffix after my (batch) pre-processing step.

I see. I donā€™t get why it shouldnā€™t be taken as a SAR product. Have you selected BEAM DIMAP as output format?
Did you have a look at the image after preprocessing? Does it look alright?

Yes. I always select this one as the output format.

Yes. I always check the output of the pre-processing step (i.e., products 3 and 4. Products 1 and 2 are the *.SAFE files).

Itā€™s really weird to me.

Has multi looking always been a part? Does the preprocessed product still contain i and q or only intensity?
Itā€™s hard to search for errors without knowing the details.

For the 3 sites Iā€™ve tested few months ago, ML is always part of the pre-processing. The preprocessed products do not contain the i and q data. They only contains the Beta0_IW1_VV data. Please see screenshot.

Iā€™ve also included my preprocessing chain.

It is really weird! I am doing it in SNAP now installed in my Ubuntu (via VM). The error does not appear and it is processing now.