Modeling of Land Subsidence caused by Water Exploitation

Dear all,

I would like to share the results of the modeling of InSAR time-series for the land subsidence caused by water exploitation. The InSAR time-series processing was done using SNAP+StaMPS. I do really appreciate if you let me know your nice comments and experiences.

Best regards,
Sayyed

7 Likes

Very nice, thank you for sharing.
What tools do you use for the creation of the displacement model?

I tried to test the Geodetic Bayesian Inversion Software (GBIS) open-source package for other applications such as land subsidence caused by oil, gas, and water exploitation. I am doing some sensitivity analysis to check the precision of the results achieved by this package.

You can find it here and also a google group to discuss:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gbisinfo

Best regards,

4 Likes

very intersting. Are there some resources on the conversion of your InSAR results to the required matlab structure? This is not documented well in the manual (understandably, as there are many different input types).

Yes. It has a good and clear tutorial to understand how we can work to get the results with different source models.

If I can be sure in correctness of this package for this application, I can answer to any question here to run this model.

2 Likes

@EJFielding Sorry, as you know, there are several source , which can be used in the earthquake, volcano, and other applications. Could you please introduce me a book or any comprehensive document to understand and find which model is compatible with each application?

One book that discusses the modeling of earthquake and volcanic deformation is this:
Segall, P. (2010), Earthquake and volcano deformation , Princeton University Press.

2 Likes

@EJFielding Thank you so much for your suggestion. I would like to know your opinion on whether existing models can be useful and understandable for subsidence caused by water or oil exploitation or not?

The mechanical models for earthquake fault dislocations and volcano magma chamber inflation or deflation and dike injection can be used to give some idea about subsidence due to water or other fluid extraction or injection. They will not be completely accurate, though, because the volume change due to fluid poroelastic effects is generally over a volume, not a thin fault plane or dike surface. Paul Segall, the book author, and his student used arrays of Mogi volume change sources to model fluid extraction ( Mossop, A., and P. Segall (1997), Subsidence at The Geysers geothermal field, N. California from a comparison of GPS and leveling surveys, Geophysical Research Letters , 24 (14), 1839–1842. ). I used a similar approach for modeling volume change at shallow depths for Bam postseismic deformation:
Fielding, E. J., P. R. Lundgren, R. Bürgmann, and J. Funning Gareth (2009), Shallow fault-zone dilatancy recovery after the 2003 Bam earthquake in Iran, Nature , 458 (7234), 64-68, doi:10.1038/nature07817.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your great information. I will try to read your mentioned references.

Hey SMJ.Mirzadeh I also want to modelling land subsidence but i am not useful fro using snap and Stemps software and unable to download. Please help me to download this software and tutorials.

have you seen the useful tips on this page?

1 Like

im using snap on windows 10 can you help me out with stamps? how to install and run it for detecting subsidence over an area

It is better to try the StaMPS in Linux OS

1 Like

HI Sayyed,
very nice results, I have processed 120 SAR images for land subsidence studies using SNAP and StaMPS. I wanna model this data set using GBIS. Please tell me how to create data file (.mat)?
Because manually creating this file is very difficult. Please help me.

Thank you Sayyed.

Dear Sayyed,
Only Descending orbit available for my study area.

Dear ABraun,
Please tell me which file in StaMPS contains the Phase (radians) , Incidence angle and Heading.

Thank you.

I don’t know this, sorry.

Hello SMJ.Mirzadeh!
I see you got very nice results with your inversion. I would like to ask you where can I find a tutorial about converting the interferogram to .mat format.
Thanks in advance!