Sentinel 1 Mosaic

I did apply stretch (standard deviation) … No use on the mosaic. It does work on other converted imported tiffs.
I would be grateful if you could comment on the following:
1.Mosaic after the entire pre-processing(Spk>>ML>>TC) of GRD product or just after calibration?
2.Is it the correct way to rename: Band math>> name the new band>> in “Edit Expression” put the expression as the name of band to be changed. Or is it the wrong way of renaming?
3 Is slice assembly specifically for mosaicing. Does it works only for SLC?

Thankyou so much!

1. please try both, I am not sure. Should work better after terrain correction, but also putting Apply Orbit file at the beginning directly followed by Calibration and mosaicing could work.
  2. No, it’s better to change the name in the band properties directly. Could be that both works but as there are already bands existing, I would use them instead of creating new ones.
  3. Slice Assembly is good for products along the same track (north-south), but doesn’t work for images side of each other (east-west).
1 Like

Thankyou for the clarification!
Good day!

I just don’t want to start over a new thread on this, so revoking an old one.
Can you please help me with few a doubts?
I wanted to ask if the mosaic applies the same for EW mode scenes too (I mean, slice assembly and following). I’ll brief what am saying, I tried: Apply Orbit File -> GRD Border Noise Removal -> TNR -> Calibration -> Converted to DB -> Ellipsoid correction (since my image is over the ocean) - then, tried mosaicking the products which followed the same pre-processing steps.
I didn’t succeed though.
Is the method correct?

Alternatively, I even tried a raw image with just Apply Orbit File-> Grd BNR and directly Mosaicking. Which didn’t work either.
Can you please help me out with what exactly is to be followed in the case of mosicking EW mode scenes?

I would probably do it like you described. Do you get an error message or just an unsatisfying result?

An error message. Am guessing it to be a “memory error” since it specifies - Not able to write product file.
It contains 4 scenes (I mean products), how much memory should the target folder space need roughly?

4 EW scenes can be quite large, yes. But the BEAM DIMAP format should be able to handle it. Or did you maybe select GeoTiff as an output format? Because this is often limited in size.

Nope, I didn’t change any formats.
It’s BEAN DIMAP. (By the way, the target folder has around 1TB)

can you please post the error message in here?

Attached is the error message.
Thanks for taking time to respond

@marpet can this error indicate insufficient storage?

1 Like

Hello Andreas,

I think it is a storage issue, I reduced the mosaic scenes to 2 from 4, and it worked (post-calibration without ellipsoid correction). But is it that we can not define projection to the mosaicked scene? I’m working on a south pole region, and it took default projection (whereas I wanted polar stereographic projection), is there a way I can reproject?

Below is the screenshot of the mosaicked product.

how large is the 2 scene mosaic?

I just can not believe that the product after mosaic shows only 18kb while the calibrated product is 10-11 Mb approximately.
However, the processing amount took more than an hour and still the result shows only 18kb. I didn’t even give it thought to look at the size.
What could be the reason for this drop in size?

You have to consider both the .dim file and the .data folder. The dim only contains metadata (can reach several MB, depending on the preprocessing), but the actual raster bands are contained in the data folder. It could be that the size of the dim file also decreases after creating the mosaic, because some metadata are dropped.

1 Like

Yes, true, the data folder has 12 GB.Thanks a ton for that.
The last thing I want to know is if I can reproject the post mosaic scene because I tried mosaicking the terrain corrected product which doesn’t succeed. It would be great if this is sorted.

Thanks

personally, I would have expected that projection with Ellipsoid correction comes before mosaicing.

If this does not work, you can try to reproject it (Raster > Geometric), but make sure to disable “reproject tie-point grids” because each of them will give you additional bands with unnecessary data.

Thanks, Andreas for the suggestion.
But, if I perform Ellipsoid correction before mosaicing, the process never completes after 25%.

Whereas, when I try to reproject the mosaiced scene, I get the following error - Source product shouldn’t be Map projected.
Error3 Error4

that makes little sense to me. On the other hand, your screenshot from above does already look projected. Which mosaic operator did you use?

Yes, previously it is projected but not what I wanted. I guessed it took a default one as mentioned.

And, I used a Radar-> Geometric -> SAR-Mosaic, which when given an input scene after EC, stops processing / doesn’t progress any after 25%. Whereas, the SAR-Mosaic wizard takes the raw product and applies Calibration-ML-TC on each of the product but doesn’t mosaic them.

(PS- I think I answered what is asked)