Snap connection to server

Hello,

I use SNAP 8 and there’s a problem in downloading the program updates. It throwed an error message about not being able to access a server. After re-installing SNAP, while checking for updates it shows the following error: ‘Check your network connection, verify that your proxy settings are configured correctly, or try again later.’
The internet connection is no worse than usual and other tasks on the computer work fine. So the first question is whether there are external server-related issues that cause this problems.

Thank you in advance.
Val

I just installed a plugin, so the server seems to be working (from Canada).

Hey gnwii,

My computer sits in Greece.
I see now that there’s a range of step-related webpages I cannot access from more than one devices and networks, ie.

(connection times out)

don’t know if this directly has to do with snap functionalities but it’s strange.

Val

Hello,
There are no issues noticed with STEP server.
Both the website and SNAP updates work (checked now).

Time for you to check if anything between your computer and the STEP server is blocking the connection… Firewalls, Routers, etc.

Another possibility is that the STEP servers have configurations to avoid abuses from IPs, so if you are using a proxy or NAT or similar it could happen that you are getting filtered because the number of connections from that IP has been reached. If this is the case you should check again tomorrow to see how things are.

Thank you all for the input. It must be a local issue and a technician will check it. Will provide feedback if relevant.
Cheers,
Val

In the past, while working at a site with many users from multiple organization units all behind an enterprise firewall, I have had the sort of problems mentioned by @cristianoLopes with NASA servers. This reflected the fact that remote sensing has become a basic tool for many of the geosciences.

Our IT people worked with NASA network staff to come up with a permanent solution.

Hello,

I am facing the same issue, I am unable to connect to the website since yesterday.

if you are using a proxy or NAT or similar it could happen that you are getting filtered because the number of connections from that IP has been reached. If this is the case you should check again tomorrow to see how things are.

I am doing my own processing on a virtual machine with a static IP. Yesterday I tried to perform a bulk download from http://step.esa.int/auxdata/orbits/Sentinel-1/ of February and March RESORB files. At the beginning it was working but after several downloads I was “kicked out”, so I am assuming my IP has been filtered in some way (indeed from my laptop the connection works). I am currently still unable to run my gpt graph because the connection fails.

Do anyone know if the IP will be “whitelisted” after a specific amount of time? Or should I ask support to a specific contact point in order to solve the issue?

Thank you in advance!

What about trying to get these orbits from the official Sentinel channel? Using the STEP server should be a last resort only. It is not even close to being an official distribution channel of Sentinel items.
@oana_hogoiu - can you try to explain the rules that are in place? thanks.

Hello @dmb891 ,
Yes, most probably your IP was banned (you depassed the number of retries for unsuccessful requests during the configured time interval)
A banned IP will be whitelisted after a specific amount of time, which is 24 hours.
In addition, if you are behind a NAT (like in some companies, or even Internet Service Providers), there is also a limit for the maximum number allowed of open connections (at a time) from a single IP address.

Thank you @oana_hogoiu for your feedback. It’s been almost two days and still I cannot download anything from http://step.esa.int/.

Here below you can see the error message logged by SNAP. The task keep trying downloading and do not proceed:

SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: http retrieving http://step.esa.int/auxdata/dem/SRTMGL1/N52E001.SRTMGL1.hgt.zip

If I try to download a SNAP installer or download an orbit/dem file manually, I have a similar error message:

Resolving step.esa.int (step.esa.int)… 37.252.127.80
Connecting to step.esa.int (step.esa.int)|37.252.127.80|:443… failed: Connection refused.

If you want I can provide the IP address of the server.

Hello @dmb891,
You should have been whitelisted Friday, so maybe the IP was banned again.
If you still cannot access STEP server, please send me in a private message your IP.

Hello @oana_hogoiu, this morning the download is working again. Thank you for your support!

Hello! Any update on the issue? We are trying to parallelize backgeocoding on 59 imgs on a cluster of 59 PCs but gpt gets stuck in the process and after having set a timeout of 10mins it gives this error:

2021-08-13 14:14:34,596 PROCESS 0 from compute-dy-c44xlarge-1 [DEBUG]: SNAP ERROR OUTPUT: b’GPT command \n \n exec /opt/snap/jre/bin/java -Dsnap.mainClass=org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.GPT -Dsnap.home=/opt/snap/bin/… -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dinstall4j.noLoggingFix=true -Xmx25G -Dsnap.userdir=/opt/.snap -classpath /opt/snap/.install4j/i4jruntime.jar:/opt/snap/.install4j/launcher4522bb12.jar:/opt/snap/snap/modules/ext/org.esa.snap.snap-core/org-esa-snap/snap-runtime.jar install4j.org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher_gpt /fsx/preprocessing/snap-graphs/backgeocoding_2run_1628863473.8873365_0.xml -c 16G -q 8 \n\nExecuting processing graph\nWARNING: org.jlinda.core.Baseline: Max. error bperp modeling at 3D datapoints: 3.4842006492912754m\nWARNING: org.jlinda.core.Baseline: Max. error bperp modeling at 3D datapoints: 3.484611784453765m\n…10%…20%…30%…40%SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\n.SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\n.SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\n.SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\n.50%…60%…70%…SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\n.SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\n.80%…SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection refused (Connection refused)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection timed out (Connection timed out)\nSEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.dataop.dem.ElevationFile: Connection timed out (Connection timed out)\n’

Hello, Are you behind a NAT? Can you send me in private your IP so that I can check what happened? The rules are mentioned above in this post.

We are using SNAP to preprocess large numbers of S1 images in our own AWS cloud in parallel on like 50 instances. The S1 data is downloaded from AWS, but some DEM files have to be fetched from ESA (apparently). I assume all the instances expose the same IP to the ESA Server, because after a few successful DEM downloads, the preprocessing fails at the DEM download (“Connection refused” or “Connection timed out”).

What is the recommended way to do this? What is the maximum number of parallel connections allowed by the server, so we can limit our number of instances to that? Thanks!

Hello,
Currently, the maximum concurrent connections from a single IP allowed by the server is 25.
If the DEM files you need are large, you can download and place them under .snap/auxdata/dem, before launching the processing, to avoid using ESA server for download.