Exporting metadata and processing chain as an xml in gpt

Hello!

I would like to export a metadata file using gpt that shows the metadata information of the file (Abstracted_Metadata) and the processing chain it has undergone (Processing_Graph). My outputs are in GeoTIFF-BigTIFF format, so ideally I would like to export a xml file with the same filename, populated with the Abstracted_Metadata and Processing_Graph attributes. Is this possible?

Thank you!!
Sasha

1 Like

Writing solely the metadata is not possible.
But you can export to another format, like NetCDF. This would include the metadata. Or you can write to BEAM-DIMAP. In this case you get a separate xml file. Actually the metadta is also included in th GeoTIFF file. But as there is no standardised way of storing metadata in GeoTiff, no other software can recognise what SNAP is writing. If you have the reading ofthe GeoTiff in your hands you can have a look at the TiffTag 65000. At this tag we store metadata about the product in xml format.

I’ve added your request to our issue tracker:
https://senbox.atlassian.net/browse/SNAP-982

1 Like

Thank you!!

5 posts were split to a new topic: Strange results when running graph and writing to GeoTiff

I would like to export a json metadata file to a SNAP compatible format. Can you help?

Hi, I’m not using this account anymore. See here: Farewell & Welcome SNAP Community - meta - STEP Forum (esa.int)

Regarding your question. I guess it is about the UMBRA dataset you have mentioned here already: Pixel Information in Exported TIFF File - s2tbx - STEP Forum (esa.int).
I don’t know this format and I’m not sure if a simple conversion is sufficient. You are converting it to XML, but which format are you following. I’m not sure if your problem can be solved this way.
Can you provide more details?

Hi Marco,
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I am attaching the following link.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FZaHt3eUVaQycWzc0HfrmSPBXo3QAJ1t?usp=sharing

This is the link where the dataset is. Would it be of any help to you to guide me through this issue?
I have even tried to import the metadata.json file through Generic Complex format, still not getting results.

From having a quick look at the sample data and the specification, the support in SNAP is not done by only converting the json file.
You can open the GeoTiff files, which contain the amplitude data. But the nitf files contain the complex phase information and the SICD data. Those files cannot be read by SNAP right away.
I think a dedicated reader needs to be implemented to correctly support this data.
How this can be done is explained here How to create a new product reader - SNAP - Confluence (atlassian.net).
The reader ensures that the data is correctly read, and the internal product data model is properly setup with the metadata.

If you don’t want to implement it yourself, you can contract developers doing it for you. Like the devs of SNAP or a dev like me or someone else you know.

Thank you for the reply. I will go through it and see if it can be handled by me. Or else I will soon get back to you.

In case you can do the development, how much time would you need? Can I get in touch with you through email? Please let me know.

You can contact me by using marco@eomasters.org.
Other contact details you can find at https://www.eomasters.org.