Generate Sentinel-1 coherence time-series

Hi all,

I am trying to process the S1 SLC data into coherence time-series. However, I had no previous experience on that and I got stopped at the first step.

My question is can I use any two images to generate coherence or I have to use images with a 12-day revisit with the same orbit and slice number? Thank you.

Yuting

No need to create a new topic, a lot of topics talk about coherence and more details you could find out step by step.

for Sentinel-1, any multiple of 6 is valid, as long as the same track/relative orbit is used. But the longer the period between the image, the lower is the coherence.

1 Like

Hi Falah,

Thanks for your remind. This is my first time to use the forum and I was not sure how to ask a question. I will be more careful in future.

Yuting

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the quick answer. I have already read the post you gave.

My study area is in US so the revisit time is 12-day. The study area is in the overlapped region of Orbit 34 Slice 17 and Orbit 107 Slice 17. Can I use these two images to generate coherence? I guess the answer is no judging from your response. It seems like only products with the same orbit and slice numbers should be used to generate coherence. Just want to make sure my judgement is right.

Yuting

exactly. I made an illustration here: INSAR / DINSAR - Perpendicular baseline calculation

No, problem, here you could find a lot of topics,

Thanks, Andreas. This answered my question.

Thanks, Falah. I will keep reading topics in the forum.

Hi Andreas,

I have a question again. My study area (the yellow square) is in the overlapped area of two images. The top image is S1A_IW_SLC__1SDV_20160705T002810_20160705T002837_012006_01288F_4175 and the bottom image is S1A_IW_SLC__1SDV_20160717T002753_20160717T002821_012181_012E4D_DF35. Do you think it is ok to use them to generate coherence? Thank you.

Yuting

yes, you can combine them because they are of the same track. The usable area is only the overlapping part, of course.

1 Like

That is a good news for me which means that there are more data available to generate coherence time series.

I was thinking they cannot be combined as they have different incident angles. Seems like I have to read more about InSAR. Thanks again.

Yuting

there was a similar discussion here: S1A-S1B coherence of partially overlapping images
Please have a look at the explanations of mengdahl.

Thanks, Andreas. That is a really useful discussion for me.