Phase to elevation error

Dear all,

I’m doing some processing using Sentinel 1A SLC IW data,r I’m using 1pairs of S1 data:

12/2 2018 and24/2 2018

The processing chain I followed : Coregistration, Deburst, Interferogram, Filter (Goldstein), Unwrapping (TOPO) with Snaphu, Phase to elevation, Terrain Correction
1-When the conversion is done from phase to elevation. The results are very dark as in the picture. What is the problem.

2-I have a high accuracy DEM for the study area in a step I can use to increase accuracy.

Please update SNAP (indicated in the lower right corner).

grafik

Thanks a lot. But the results were disappointing after comparing them with high accuracy data. Although data were large perpendicular baseline and a small temporal baseline.

rmse
please
I have a high accuracy DEM for the study area in a step I can use to increase accuracy.

the low accuracy has many reasons. But this is mostly the case for repeat pass approaches. I haven’t seen one InSAR DEM derived from Sentinel-1 which was better than what is freely available from SRTM or other sources. Maybe people expect too much from this technique.

3 Likes

In addition to what @ABraun says, you can make DEMs with Sentinel-1, but the satellite is clearly not designed for that. The revisit time is too large and the orbital tube is too narrow. You clearly see that DInSAR-based approaches are privileged (which is a good thing IMHO).

Students in internship in our institution tried their best to make DEMs over several regions but never achieved better results than the free ones.

3 Likes

Thank you so much qglaude.

I need more information on this topic if you can help me

Thank you very much. What is required of me as required by my scientific research is to obtain a high-resolution DEM from the radar images and the study area is not available on the data of Tan Dem and Terra SAR ( scientific and commercial).Is it a way to obtain high-precision data to produce the DEM from anther products.

C-band is quite sensitive to small changes so as long as the temporal baseline is 6 days and the perpendicular baseline is as short as currently observed, I see little chance that Sentinel-1 will be a suitable replacement to map a fully usable as a DEM.
Of course, this depends on the climate as well but whenever vegetation is involved, you rapidly lose quality.

1 Like

I’d be happy to give you some materials if needed but I’m not sure about what you would like to obtain.