TOPSAR-Merge error during S1A/S1B interferogram: java.lang.NullPointerException

Dear all,
I’ trying to perform an interferogram on the following SLC pair:

• Master: S1A_IW_SLC__1SDV_20160821T051116_20160821T051143_012694_013F33_53E5.SAFE

• Slave: S1B_IW_SLC__1SDV_20160827T051035_20160827T051102_001798_002B0D_2E7D.SAFE

The whole processing is splitted in three graphs:

1. Topsar subswath split for all IW1,IW2,IW3
  2. Apply-Orbit-file -> Back-Geocoding -> Enhanced-Spectral-Diversity -> Interferogram -> Topsar-deburst -> TopoPhaseRemoval
  3. Topsar-Merge -> GoldsteinPhaseFiltering -> Multilook -> Terrain-Correction

Everything goes ok for the first and second graphs, while an error occurs in the third processing, in particular on the Topsar-Merge part. The following error message (only a log extract) is shown:

INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Loading external tools...
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Scanning for external tools adapters: /usr/local/snap/s2tbx
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Scanning for external tools adapters: /usr/local/snap/s1tbx
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Scanning for external tools adapters: /usr/local/snap/s3tbx
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Scanning for external tools adapters: /root/.snap/auxdata/tool-adapters
INFO: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Scanning for external tools adapters: /usr/local/snap/rstb
WARNING: org.esa.snap.core.util.ServiceFinder: Can't search for SPIs, not a directory: /root/.snap/snap-python
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:397)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:392)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.Operator.getSourceTile(Operator.java:459)
        at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARMergeOp.computeTileInOneSwathFloat(TOPSARMergeOp.java:729)
        at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARMergeOp.computeTileStack(TOPSARMergeOp.java:646)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeRect(OperatorImageTileStack.java:116)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeTile(OperatorImageTileStack.java:85)
        at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
        at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.cobbleFloat(PlanarImage.java:3254)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2181)
        at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:406)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:392)
        at org.esa.s1tbx.insar.gpf.GoldsteinFilterOp.computeTileStack(GoldsteinFilterOp.java:236)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeRect(OperatorImageTileStack.java:116)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeTile(OperatorImageTileStack.java:85)
        at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.cobbleFloat(PlanarImage.java:3254)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2181)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:406)
        at org.esa.s1tbx.sar.gpf.MultilookOp.computeTile(MultilookOp.java:182)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:80)
        at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(SourcelessOpImage.java:137)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2085)
        at org.esa.s1tbx.sar.gpf.geometric.RangeDopplerGeocodingOp.computeTileStack(RangeDopplerGeocodingOp.java:934)
        at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2085)
        at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:73)
        at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(SourcelessOpImage.java:137)
        at com.sun.media.jai.util.RequestJob.compute(SunTileScheduler.java:247)
        at com.sun.media.jai.util.WorkerThread.run(SunTileScheduler.java:468)

I’m quite sure that such error is related to the Topsar-Merge, since I’ve created another graph with only the Topsar-Merge operation obtaining the same error.

This is not a blocking error, since the processing (after hundreds of “java.lang.NullPointerException”) ends successfully, but the resulting data has not any meaningfulness.

Could you please help me to understand where I’m doing it wrong?

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

Details on the working environment:

• 16 GB RAM
  • 4 QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6) @ 3491.912 Mhz
  • SNAP 4

Did you try out this

co reg…(the out put should be deramp and dmod)…> s-1 range shift
…> s-1 azimuth shift…>deburst…>subset…>infgram
formation …> Topographic removal …>Filtering Goldstein …>
Unwrapping

1 Like

Dear falahkhri,
Thank you for your answer.
The processing chain that you suggested is very similar to the one that I’m currently implementing (except for the subset and unwrapping).
I think that such error is not due to the processing chain, since the same processing works very good with SNAP 3 with a couple of S1A data.
My issue is probably more related to some strange behavior TOPSAR-Merge that happens with such interferometric couple + SNAP 4.
Maybe some developer could be very useful for this :slight_smile:

Hope this would be helpful, http://seom.esa.int/fringe2015/files/presentation17.pdf

1 Like

ifg_core_IW1.xml (5.6 KB)
splitMasterIW1_3burst.xml (1.4 KB)
splitMasterIW2_3burst.xml (1.4 KB)
ifg_core_IW2.xml (5.6 KB)
ifg_core_IW3.xml (5.6 KB)
splitMasterIW3_3burst.xml (1.4 KB)
merge_filter_multilook.xml (3.4 KB)
splitSlaveIW1_3burst.xml (1.4 KB)
splitSlaveIW2_3burst.xml (1.4 KB)
splitSlaveIW3_3burst.xml (1.4 KB)

Dear All,
The error during the TOPSAR-MERGE processing still occurs.
Other attempts have been done also with a dataset different from the one listed above, with both Windows and Linux (Linux through gpt), and with SNAP 4 and SNAP 5.
Attached there are the graph files that have been used to perform the interferogram.
The run order is:

1. splitMasterIW1_3burst.xml
  2. splitMasterIW2_3burst.xml
  3. splitMasterIW3_3burst.xml
  4. splitSlaveIW1_3burst.xml
  5. splitSlaveIW2_3burst.xml
  6. splitSlaveIW3_3burst.xml
  7. ifg_core_IW1.xml
  8. ifg_core_IW2.xml
  9. ifg_core_IW3.xml
  10. merge_filter_multilook.xml

Could you (maybe @lveci ) please provide me help on this?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hey rss_user,
I have also an error with TOPSAR-Merge.
I get the error: [NodeId: TOPSAR-Merge] String Index out of range: -1

in the command line I get further information for that:
UTC parse error:2015–5-41595.03821950784:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41595”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41607.61205848394:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41607”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41595.03821950784:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41595”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41607.61205848394:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41607”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41595.51099801902:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41595”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41608.09202701785:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41608”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41595.51099801902:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41595”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41608.09202701785:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41608”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41594.611690989404:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41594”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41607.19991751539:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41607”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41594.611690989404:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41594”
UTC parse error:2015–5-41607.19991751539:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “2015–5-41607”
String index out of range: -1

In- and Output format is GAMMA. I also figure out, that in the SNAP GUI the S-1 TOPS Merge ProductSet Reader is not reading the information in the right way: Acquisition, Track and Orbit are wrong.

I also split each IW processing into a seperate xml and want to combine them in a forth xml file.
I run this on CentOS7 and with SNAP5 through gpt.

I had no luck yet, solving that issue.

I found a solution for my problem. TOPSAR-Merge can not read Gamma products properly. Master-,Slave-Date, Orbit-information are shown as 99999. They are correct if I give TOPSAR-Merge Beam-Dimap Files. Then the process of merging works good.

1 Like

Dear HHVice,
I’m happy about the resolution of your problem, even if mine seems different.
I always used Beam-Dimap files as input of TOPSAR-Merge operator, and the command line shows (linux - gpt case) the error java.lang.NullPointerException hundreds of times.

Hey,
I have one difference to you. I use the deburst operator after generating an interferogram.
Otherwise I do exactly the same things as you.

I think it would be worth to test that.

1 Like

Hey HHVice,
Even in my case the deburst operation is performed just after the interferogram generation (and before the TopoPhaseRemoval), as reported in the ifg_core_IW*.xml graph files.

I ran the two products above step by step in the GUI and did not have a problem with the merging.
I’ll try again tomorrow using your graphs.

2 Likes

The problem is in the order of the operators in the graph. The Topo Phase Removal doesn’t account for TOPS subswaths. If you deburst and then merge then the output of merge is fine. After the merge you can apply the topo phase removal.

I’ve added better error checking to catch this problem better in the future.

4 Likes

Dear lveci,

Thank you very much for your support.
Performing the Topo Phase Removal after the merge solves the problem.

The unique thing that remains not clear to me is why my graph was working without error with SNAP V3.0.

Thank you again

Hello, @lveci!

I just want to ask if it’s possible to merge two ‘debursted’ Sentinel-1 products?

I wanted to merge two ‘debursted’ products both from S1B-Descending (same path 61 but with different frames 470 and 475). I do get the error as shown in the image below.

Please help.

Thank you!

Hi Mr. Iveci.I have a question about the *splitting_master_multi_IW.py * script of snap2stamps workflow… if we want to use it, all subswathes will be split at the same time? so how we can set IW1=… in the project.conf file?
since my interset area is located on the 2 subswathes, I want to split IW2 and IW3 simultaneously… so is it possible based on using splitting_master_multi_IW.py?

I think you have to address this question to @mdelgado who developed the snap2stamps workflow.

oh, thanks. sorry

Dear @zahra0729,

The script that you are pointing out does not form part of the processing workflow suggested in the manual.
Obviously you can use it, but then you need to develop your own solution (which would not be much complicated) as today it is not included in that package.

Sorry if that script might confuse you.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply…then can I ask you when the updated package for analyzing multi IWs will be published?