Why is the VV return so much stronger

I have noticed this with quite a few different datasets that I have worked with. The VV polarization overall has a much stronger return signal than the VH polarization. For example, in the current dataset that I have been working with, the VH polarized signal ranges between 6.09E-4 and 5.83 (intensity units), while the VV polarization ranges between 2.713E-3 and 129.86 (intensity units). This makes creating RGB composites difficult, as the RGB channels that are defined by the VV band greatly overpower the bands that do not depend on it.

Is there a reason for this, and is there a way to correct it other than adjusting the color channel sliders?

the difference is of physical nature. VH is only the return of horizontal waves which were emmitted vertically. Its proportion and occurrence is smaller in most cases:

We have had some discussions on this:

What is often done for RGB composites is that you take the VH multiple times, e.g.
red = VV
green = 4 * VH
blue = (2*VH) / VV

2 Likes

Thanks @ABraun! Seems my google-fu failed me. I will look over these resources as they should be pretty helpful with more general interpretation of the data as well.